Driver Headlight Issues? TIPM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LiteraCola

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good morning guys,

I've had my 2012 Sport CC since March and not long after purchase (before I turned off the approach lights), I noticed the driver head would work sometimes and not others. I turned off the approach lights and didnt notice an issue with it until about a month ago. The low beam just randomly went out one day, so I checked voltage at the bulb and ultimately replaced the bulb. The problem continued and I've just kind of dealt with it until I got a feeling and took the front end apart again. I removed the connector going into the headlight housing, inspected and cleaned the connector (and also the one that runs through the housing to the high beam bulb), both seemed fine so I squirted some dialectric grease in and stuck them back together. The headlights worked and I noticed if I would wiggle the wires coming into the headlight connector the light would flicker. After putting everything back together, the lights worked until I hit a bump going down the road and the low beam went out again. And on top of that, now the damn high beam wont work either. WTF is going on?

OutLore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same problem - on both sides. It seems to have been resolved by the same fix you tried - taking the connector apart, cleaning it and dielectric greasing it.

It's a common problem - you can get a replacement harness, but if mine plays up again I'll just grab some 3 or 4 way sealed connectors and make my own.

You need to hope it's not the TIPM... $$$$$$ :crazy:

OP
OP
LiteraCola

LiteraCola

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same problem - on both sides. It seems to have been resolved by the same fix you tried - taking the connector apart, cleaning it and dielectric greasing it.

It's a common problem - you can get a replacement harness, but if mine plays up again I'll just grab some 3 or 4 way sealed connectors and make my own.

You need to hope it's not the TIPM... $$$$$$ :crazy:

Yeah, if it is, I'm going to seriously consider getting a different truck. Its been great since I've owned it, but these contact electrical gremlins are enough to drive a man crazy!

By the way, I just purchased a replacement harness off that auction site, so we'll see how it goes. The lights flickering with a jiggle of the wires is definitely suspect.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you wiggle the wires at the headlight connector there is no reason to think it is a tipm problem. I have replaced a dozen of the body side connectors at the headlight. Your local dealer probably stocks them. The whole harness doesn't need to be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
LiteraCola

LiteraCola

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you wiggle the wires at the headlight connector there is no reason to think it is a tipm problem. I have replaced a dozen of the body side connectors at the headlight. Your local dealer probably stocks them. The whole harness doesn't need to be replaced.

Normally I would just replace the connector, but I found the entire harness for under $20 so I couldn't pass it up.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A used one?