Engine issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jmenard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Good morning,
I have a 2016 Ram with the 5.7 v8. I started having oil loss at 30k and now have 105k on the truck. Just recently, the truck is running rough when accelerating At highway speeds. The plugs in 3 of the cylinders were like nothing I’d ever seen. I was told the engine likely needs rebuilt/replaced. Is it worth it? I was looking at junkyard engines between 3-4K$ Thanks.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That's something you'll need to decide for yourself. How attached are you to this truck? What condition is it in otherwise? What kind of warranty do these junkyard engines come with? Are you interested in some of the newer tech that newer trucks come with? These would all factor into my decision.

If the truck is otherwise in great condition it makes financial sense to get another engine versus buying new truck, especially if yours is paid off. I'd probably look into a new replacement or rebuilt engine if I were wanting to keep the truck for the long-term.

OP
OP
J

Jmenard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes, it is otherwise a sound truck. I also have two up and coming teen drivers, so financially it is not a good time for a new one:). I will look into an engine.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yes, it is otherwise a sound truck. I also have two up and coming teen drivers, so financially it is not a good time for a new one:). I will look into an engine.
Sounds like you already had the answer to your question. ;)

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I wouldn't be in a hurry to fire the parts canon, especially for a motor replacement.

Good morning,
I have a 2016 Ram with the 5.7 v8. I started having oil loss at 30k and now have 105k on the truck.

What volume of oil loss and at what interval? An extra quart per day, per week, per month?

The plugs in 3 of the cylinders were like nothing I’d ever seen.

Please describe and/or post pictures.

I was told the engine likely needs rebuilt/replaced.

Says who and after what analysis? Did they open up the engine?

And, welcome.gif to Ram Forum. :cool:

OP
OP
J

Jmenard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Any suggestions on where to begin the engine search?

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You started having oil loss at 30k and didn't do something about it then? See the results of neglect.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You started having oil loss at 30k and didn't do something about it then? See the results of neglect.
I'm sure we were all thinking it, but it's a moot point. No sense making him feel foolish after the fact. It's possible he took it in and they told him what most dealerships say in that situation..."that's normal oil loss". Unless it was more than a quart per 1000 miles most dealerships tell you that. A lot of owner's manuals even say that. Not sure if Ram does or not though.

My point is the OP didn't give any details about what went on at 30k so there's no point in scolding him about it now.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I started having oil loss at 30k and now have 105k on the truck.

2qts low at 3k interval. The oil I’ve learned to live with. The bigger issue is the the rough, weak acceleration on the highway.

Have you been waiting until it's 2 quarts low before topping off the oil and dealing with this condition for the past 75K miles?

Engines are designed to run with a specific volume of lubricant. A single quart low is significant, more than that is approaching catastrophic.

Operating the vehicle continuously with this oil deficiency or with any regularity will most likely toast the engine.

Is the oil being burnt off and you have a black cloud behind you with that distinct smell of burnt oil or do you have a puddle under the truck where you park?

And what about a description of the plug condition and who/how was the engine determined to require a rebuild/replacement?

The information provided is very lacking in detail but, a replacement may be the answer, I just hate to jump to conclusions without all the facts. That's completely your choice.

OP
OP
J

Jmenard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Every thread has to have a tough guy I suppose. It was brought to the dealership and guess what??? Yeah, everything was fine;) it wasn’t 2qts when it started. It gradually worsened. I was also told that that 1.5 qts is a normal variance and within “spec” for this engine. Anyway, thanks for the help.

OP
OP
J

Jmenard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Every thread has to have a tough guy I suppose. It was brought to the dealership and guess what??? Yeah, everything was fine;) it wasn’t 2qts when it started. It gradually worsened. I was also told that that 1.5 qts is a normal variance and within “spec” for this engine. Anyway, thanks for the help

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Short term truck, used engine.
Long term truck rebuilt engine.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good morning,
I have a 2016 Ram with the 5.7 v8. I started having oil loss at 30k and now have 105k on the truck. Just recently, the truck is running rough when accelerating At highway speeds. The plugs in 3 of the cylinders were like nothing I’d ever seen. I was told the engine likely needs rebuilt/replaced. Is it worth it? I was looking at junkyard engines between 3-4K$ Thanks.
Significant oil consumption is not a common problem on current hemis. It's possible you have a broken piston ring, but highly unlikely on three cylinders at once.

This could be bad valve guide seals, especially if the vehicle has sat dormant for long period or suffered from long oil changes intervals. I would recommend taking a compression test to eliminate the possibility of piston ring issues. Replacing valve guide seals would be a lot less expensive and performed without all the possible damaging effects of removing the engine.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 101211 miles.

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Powertrain products . That’s what I’ve been looking at. About 4-5k for a 5.7. If you do need to replace it. There are many others . If a junkyard is telling 3-4K. That’s quite high IMO . Unless that includes all accessories & they can prove mileage.

Snoopy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You my friend have been Hemi-Ticked! Camshaft/Lifters are gone like every Hemi will experience in there lifetime unfortunately. It happed to me at 142k dealer put new crate Hemi in 10k later and a sore Hind-end I was back on the road. If you gonna keep the truck put a new engine in it. Just me 2 cents.
Good Luck!

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You my friend have been Hemi-Ticked! Camshaft/Lifters are gone like every Hemi will experience in there lifetime unfortunate.

That is an extraordinarily ignorant statement. I know you are butthurt about yours going bad but it is far from EVERY hemi.

"NoT jUsT mE, mY fRiEnD hAd It ToO...." I don't care and you are wrong.

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't think I read where anything was mentioned about if the plugs had ever been replaced before or if they are the original plugs with 105-k on them. If they are original I believe I would replace them and at that mileage also replace all the coil packs. It may run good for another 20 or 30 K . Also since you say you are losing oil due to burning it I would try a little thicker viscosity oil and possibly add a additive made to help reduce oil consumption. I know what I'm saying is not a fix for your problem but I would certainly give it a chance before going through changing motors out with a used one from a wrecking yard. If it gets you some more miles out of your existing engine great if not you haven't spent a ton of money on trying it and now you can either swap out motors or trade in for a newer truck . Good luck

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357