Exhaust Drone Fixed! Spoiler Alert another 3.21 vs 3.92 discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Just curious, why not just use the gear selector to hold in 7 and instead of programmer ?
I could have done that, and in fact I used to (to get rid of MDS anyways)... but it's so much nicer to just be able to hop in, put the selector in D and mash the gas pedal.

I also frequently have to put the vehicle in park and reverse and pushing the steering wheel buttons every single time got old quick.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
Fair enough, I forgot you mentioned you never get in to 8th compared to mine hunting :)
Yeah, mine doesn't even hunt. Also, V6, remember? That's why I thought the 3:73 gears would put it solidly in 8th at 80 mph.

leftchevybehind

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi eTorque
Not recommended to outright flash out a gear like that, especially if you use the truck for truck stuff

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Why? Please elaborate…

I beg to differ based on two points:

1) There is no difference on the final drive train ratio going down the highway with this setup compared to a truck built with 3.92 gears.

2) This is no different than running the truck using the ERS limited to ‘7’ which is also used when doing “truck stuff”

How is this hard on anything or not ideal?

Last edited:

leftchevybehind

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi eTorque
Why? Please elaborate…

I beg to differ based on two points:

1) There is no difference on the final drive train ratio going down the highway with this setup compared to a truck built with 3.92 gears.

2) This is no different than running the truck using the ERS limited to ‘7’ which is also used when doing “truck stuff”

How is this hard on anything or not ideal?
Could have transmission issues or cause unnecessary engine stress because your gear ratios were optimized for your initial vehicle configuration. Even if the ratio is the same, which does mitigate potential issues, your vehicle and its original configuration were optimized with the gear you removed. In other words, from a systems engineering perspective, all the components have a different output for a reason.

I would actually just swap to 3.92 gears and get things recalibrated

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Could have transmission issues or cause unnecessary engine stress because your gear ratios were optimized for your initial vehicle configuration. Even if the ratio is the same, which does mitigate potential issues, your vehicle and its original configuration were optimized with the gear you removed. In other words, from a systems engineering perspective, all the components have a different output for a reason.

I would actually just swap to 3.92 gears and get things recalibrated
There is nothing different between a 3.21 and a 3.92 truck besides the gears in the diffs. Even the transmission “tune” is the same for a stock vehicle in each configuration regardless of the gear ratio. The transmission gear shifting is soley based on input shaft speed (ie the engine RPM)

The swap provides only a marginal benefit getting a heavy load moving, but that’s it.

leftchevybehind

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi eTorque
There is nothing different between a 3.21 and a 3.92 truck besides the gears in the diffs. Even the transmission “tune” is the same for a stock vehicle in each configuration regardless of the gear ratio. The transmission gear shifting is soley based on input shaft speed (ie the engine RPM)

The swap provides only a marginal benefit getting a heavy load moving, but that’s it.
I'm not saying it doesn't work, because workarounds keep old legacy architecture operationally stable in the IT space, I know the truck will do what you need it too by hiding one of its gears, but I personally wouldn't flash, I'd re-gear and recalibrate. I'm one of those people that will pay more to do something 100% of the way, than save a few bucks getting 80% there - even if both approaches result in the same outcome and I could save money.

But if the flash works like a charm, then it shouldn't matter either way. Just re-flash to stock before trade-in or sell. There should be a traceable fingerprint but most dealers aren't going to check that sort of thing unless it was like a diesel (even then).

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
I'm not saying it doesn't work, because workarounds keep old legacy architecture operationally stable in the IT space, I know the truck will do what you need it too by hiding one of its gears, but I personally wouldn't flash, I'd re-gear and recalibrate. I'm one of those people that will pay more to do something 100% of the way, than save a few bucks getting 80% there - even if both approaches result in the same outcome and I could save money.

But if the flash works like a charm, then it shouldn't matter either way. Just re-flash to stock before trade-in or sell. There should be a traceable fingerprint but most dealers aren't going to check that sort of thing unless it was like a diesel (even then).
You’re talking nonsense. You keep saying recalibrate but that’s not a thing. Take the software from a 3.92 factory truck and a 3.21 factory truck and they are identical. The transmission code is EXACTLY the same between the two.

And I couldn’t care less about turning it back to stock. This truck will forever be a 7 speed…

leftchevybehind

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi eTorque
You’re talking nonsense. You keep saying recalibrate but that’s not a thing. Take the software from a 3.92 factory truck and a 3.21 factory truck and they are identical. The transmission code is EXACTLY the same between the two.
Whatever you say bro, it's your truck, you do whatever you feel is best.

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Not recommended to outright flash out a gear like that, especially if you use the truck for truck stuff
There is a time and a place for opinions, and they begin with such things like… “I think that….” Or “I could be wrong but…” or “I was under the assumption…”

To make a statement such as yours that’s factually incorrect is damaging to the community at large. Contact GDE, or any other tuning company and they will tell you the same thing… and they are the ones that get paid for selling a tune!

If you brought your truck in for a gear change and a recalibrate the shop would just regear your truck and then take your recalibration money and add it to the nightly beer fund.

I will add to this thread as the miles go up on my truck. I pull car trailers, horse trailers, and campers. I am not worried about the longevity of this in the least.

I can say that other truck manufacturers do have different transmission software, as that can affect the speedometer and other sensors. Chevy is like that for instance… but Dodge does their setup differently.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat