Fan Clutch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rldunbarque80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He I 5.7
I have a 2015 1500 Laramie Longhorn my water pump went out. I got it fixed but now when I start my truck up it revs up higher than usual and it continues until I get in a higher gear. Reading up on it I’m thinking its the fan clutch. I took it to the dealer and they seem to think its fine. But I know that truck and that’s not normal. What should I do should I go to the dealer and tell them to replace it?

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just to clarify on the above. The v6 efan swap entails removing your existing fan assembly and replacing with the larger v6 electric fan. This, along with a tune modification to set your efan temp engagement and a 180 thermostat, allows you to completely remove your clutch fan. This removes the parasitic loss due to the clutch fan and frees up some ponies. Use car-parts.com to find a used v6 efan on the cheap.

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a 2002 Ram and same thing happened. Pretty much the new fan clutch would never disengage/stop, was always noisy. A shop and friend said same thing it is fine but I disagreed. Swapped for another one(same OEM one) and worked fine like it should, turning on/off when it needed and was not near as noisy. have the shop that did the work swap for another one. Dealer is just being lazy saying it is fine but is not because they do not want to do the work again.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like a bad clutch fan, do yourself a favor and do not buy an aftermarket unit.
If cost is an issue, look for a good low mileage used part.

car-part.com is a good source.

OR ask here as many people have ditched their clutch fan for electric and might part with it.

Ron Boggio

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
When they replaced the water pump did they replace the fan clutch? To be clear you are hearing a roar like sound that sounds like the engine is reving? The engine is not actually increasing in RPM, right?