First major tow - ~8000lbs behind a Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UndeadJeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This weekend was the first real test of my new Ram 1500, I towed my Jeep from Connecticut down to Rausch Creek Offroad Park in Pennsylvania. It's about 250 miles to my in-laws' house, then 70ish from there to the park, another 70 back, and about 300 coming back to avoid construction. I put about 700-ish miles on the trailer over the weekend.

On the advice of people in this forum, I invested in a weight distributing hitch and a friction sway controller. These proved invaluable, especially for keeping the rear end tongue compression down because I didn't buy air bags.

So here's the setup: 2014 Ram 1500 5.7L V8 Hemi, 3.92 rear axle, class IV receiver, weight distributing hitch, sway controller, towing a 5400lb Jeep atop a 2200 pound trailer, integrated brake controller: total 7,600 pounds cargo being towed. Truck rated capacity: 9,900 pounds.

2F290114-F324-4FA6-862B-7EC49F1E376A_zpsvgsphhhv.jpg

When I first got started, I have to admit I was pretty scared. I had horrible images of me, my family, and the Jeep ending up in a ditch somewhere or worse, something going wrong and hurting someone else on the highway.

It definitely takes some getting used to, but I have to admit the entire ride was pretty pleasant. We actually drove through some of the worst thunderstorms I'd ever been in, as well as some Arthur spin-off storms. Crosswinds were over 40mph on some bridges, flash floods - everything that could have contributed to a driver heart attack/stroke hit us hard. Truck, trailer, and cargo all got through unharmed (Jeep's nav unit died due to the rain, but that's unrelated to this post :buffer:).

It was sunny on the way back, but there was so much construction we sat "still" managing 10 miles in 2 hours. Gas consumption stayed pretty even at 10.5mpg (tow/haul mode was on at all times) whereas my previous unloaded rate was 19.1mpg. This thing took super steep hills like a champ, downshifting for descents to attempt to keep me from running away, growling appropriately to maintain speed climbing. On straight sections of highway I could maintain 65mph and everywhere else I was perfectly content to stay in the slow lane.

As a Jeep owner, I am used to being pleasantly surprised by the capabilities of a purpose-built vehicle. This Ram is truly a thing of beauty - it hauled my cargo without breaking a sweat while still giving me a plush, comfortable ride inside.

I'm convinced that buying this Ram was the best decision I've ever made. Love this vehicle, and love its uncompromising mix of power, utility, and comfort! :favorites13:

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Great write up- glad the trip went well. The Ram continues to impress me, and coming from the tank-like construction of the F series- that speaks volumes.

FWIW- those images of mayhem, death, destruction and of course... lawyers will continue to cross your mind before every trip out, especially if you spend any amount of time on the RV forums like I do. Keeps you humble, and likely helps to keep it between the ditches ;)

BTW- nice setup on both ends. I'd love a jeep like that, but unfortunately a sysadmin salary can't afford that *and* my kids to go through college.

Last edited:
OP
OP
UndeadJeeper

UndeadJeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great write up- glad the trip went well. The Ram continues to impress me, and coming from the tank-like construction of the F series- that speaks volumes.

FWIW- those images of mayhem, death, destruction and of course... lawyers will continue to cross your mind before every trip out, especially if you spend any amount of time on the RV forums like I do. Keeps you humble, and likely helps to keep it between the ditches ;)

BTW- nice setup on both ends. I'd love a jeep like that, but unfortunately a sysadmin salary can't afford that *and* my kids to go through college.

I've already told my kids they better get scholarships, because the Jeep takes precedence over the college fund :)

OP
OP
UndeadJeeper

UndeadJeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually had very little sway loading it on this way. When I loaded the Jeep on nose first, the tongue weight was so bad the truck squatted and lost almost all gap in the wheel well. When I go to tow this way again I will either load the Jeep backwards like I did this time or I will load it nose first and get air bags to keep the weight off the rear suspension.

DatacomGuy

Reaction score
Very nice.. Great write-up and glad your first trip went well!

I was the same way, and still are - scared ****less. As mentioned above, keeps you humble and safer.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I actually had very little sway loading it on this way. When I loaded the Jeep on nose first, the tongue weight was so bad the truck squatted and lost almost all gap in the wheel well. When I go to tow this way again I will either load the Jeep backwards like I did this time or I will load it nose first and get air bags to keep the weight off the rear suspension.

yea, it doesnt take much to make these trucks squat. nose first and air bags will probably tow the best, imo.

MiRamDriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yea, it doesnt take much to make these trucks squat. nose first and air bags will probably tow the best, imo.

Agreed. That setup looks pretty light on the tongue weight. You want like 12-15% for that amount of weight.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Yeah, a trip to the grocery store can almost squat these trucks...

Sweet ride empty has its price for sure. Doing the bags or replacing coils would also work. I prefer the bags so I can still have sweet ride when not loaded up.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Sweet setup I'm glad it work out for you.

Phatboy2003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
Hey all, Great read on the Towing. This is my first post here, and I recently just got a 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4. So I have to ask a towing question, cause I see the OP said that the towing capacity on his Ram was over 9,000 lbs. I'll have to check my truck when I get home but is that the capacity for any Ram 4x4 1500 ? I'm looking to possibly tow around a work related trailer that will probably top out at about 8,000 lbs. I also wanted to know about adding the Bags. Adding the bags will just keep the load from Bottoming out ?

Thanks for the Help

:favorites13:

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Hey all, Great read on the Towing. This is my first post here, and I recently just got a 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4. So I have to ask a towing question, cause I see the OP said that the towing capacity on his Ram was over 9,000 lbs. I'll have to check my truck when I get home but is that the capacity for any Ram 4x4 1500 ? I'm looking to possibly tow around a work related trailer that will probably top out at about 8,000 lbs. I also wanted to know about adding the Bags. Adding the bags will just keep the load from Bottoming out ?

Thanks for the Help

:favorites13:

You are probably better off starting your ow thread we need more info from you. The towing capacity is based on your trucks configureation witch Trans witch gear ratio what trim tradesman weighs less than a larmie ect.

Phatboy2003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
Thanks, only picked it up on Saturday, so I'll get the info and do just that, start a new thread. Thanks for the feedback just the same.

Phatboy2003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
Thanks again for the suggestion and help. Just an FYI, I won't be starting another thread, I did go onto RamTrucks.com and went to the online help and the person helping me was able to give me the gear ratio for my truck based on the Vin#. Was able to find out that I have an 8600 lb max tow capability. Thanks again