First-time RAM owner - need upgrade recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverSingleCab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey y'all

New user here - first post. A few weeks ago I bought my first truck, a '19 1500 Classic RCSB 5.7 2WD. I come from the muscle/pony car world, and plan to use this thing essentially like a muscle car with a bed for hauling my crap around lol. In other words, I may or may not eventually take it to the drag strip (occasionally) but otherwise I'll just be having fun with it out on the street. I'm looking for some recommendations/advice on a few things. First...

Exhaust:
I'm really liking sound clips of Flowmaster's American Thunder catback system. However, I don't want an exhaust system that's going to result in lots of interior drone. Anyone here have the American Thunder system that can clue me in on what the interior sound levels are like?

Tuning:
Tell me about PCM swap tunes. What kind of horsepower gains are you seeing? Is it enough to justify the costs? I'm not new to tuning, but I've never had to swap a PCM to do so before and the truck is still under warranty, and I'd like not to void that. Let me hear your thoughts.

Handling:
I've already lowered the rear with some 1.5" drop coil springs from MaxTrac. Also planning to move to 305/50R20 street tires once I'm done boiling the rubber off the factory tires :devilfinger:. What other things have you all done to improve handling? Sway bar upgrades?

Precautions:
Finally, I understand this truck was not designed to be a performance vehicle. Sure, the 5.7 is in R/T challengers, but I assume there are subtle variations in tuning between the challenger and 1500 R/T. Obviously, constantly giving it the beans and revving it high are going to shorten the life of the engine, so I'll have to use some common sense. However, are there any known issues I should cautious of that arise when using these trucks in a performance application? If so, let me know.

Really appreciate any insight/advice. Thanks!

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Frequent oil changes, not too much idling (our Hemis don't like it).
You'll need an unlock cable for any tuning on a 19.
I had the American Thunder muffler on my Crew Cab and it had minor drone and a nice exhaust note.
Can't say how it would sound in a RCSB though. Whatever exhaust upgrade you do, put 5" tips on it to get a deeper note.
I have a 2/2 drop on my 2010 CC 4x4 and ran 305/50R20s with no rubbing.
I'd say a Hellwig adjustable sway bar and a Pedal Commander would make you smile right away for handling & throttle response.

And welcome to the forum!