Fluid Capacities

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corey148

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all, I own a 2018 Ram 1500 5.7 with 3.92 Axle with Limited Slip. I am going to be changing the front and rear differential fluids along with transfer case fluid in the near future. Does anyone know the fluid capacities of each of the differentials and transfer case??

Also, do you recommend staying with MOPAR OEM fluids or use another fluid when servicing the differentials and transfer case?

Thanks for any input you can provide.

dsherman26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just did these myself on mine. I used Mobil1 75W-90LS in the differentials, though I don't have limited slip. The Mopar transfer case fluid was a bit pricey, I used the Ravenol BW44 fluid from Blauparts, it was $30/quart and you'll need two quarts. Rear differential took about 3 quarts, front was about 1.5 quarts. Park it level, and all three are filled until the fluid runs out of the fill hole. There are some good Youtubes on how to do them. You'll need a 14mm hex socket and an 8mm hex for the differential plugs, the transfer case just takes a 3/8" socket wrench.

andymax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some will say to only use MOPAR, and some will say a good aftermarket brand will do just fine. They're both right. Use what makes you feel good. My $.02 is that I've never used OEM fluid for anything (except one BMW tranny back in 2010) and I've never once had an issue.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've said this before...but my local (small family dealership) will sell fluids out of their bulk barrel for a lot less than the Mopar jug. But they only sell a gal at a time. Although I have had them sell me a half gal of power steering fluid (what's that?LOL) to exchanged the fluid. May be worth a call to your small town part's dept guy..and ask. They must have a different number they can run bulk sales under.

IDK the internal finances. Perhaps it helps boost the Service Parts Sales (over normal 'Counter Parts sales'). IDK. Maybe that's a number they get scrutinized on more (??). There are a few small dealerships in our area which do it. But it's definitely cheaper than buying by the jug ..even online. And ya build report with the parts guy.

Last edited:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Use the squish packs! I know Valvoline carries fluids in the squish packs so I’ll assume the other big names do too. The squish packs make putting the fluid in the diffs much easier.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat