Fluid for 8 speed transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moinky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Short of internal fault, or external damage - the 8 speeds are not intended to be serviced. Chrysler won't even pay technicians to repair the transmission, it's a straight up swap. They are also by no means easy to service either - as they are blocked by the y-pipe section of exhaust. We've had to repair a few due to cracked pans or damage, and it's the labor that eats the majority of the cost. Per Chrysler, the internal fluids are "lifetime" rated. Service manuals don't specify to even touch it up to the 160,000 mile mark in the maintenance books.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Short of internal fault, or external damage - the 8 speeds are not intended to be serviced. Chrysler won't even pay technicians to repair the transmission, it's a straight up swap. They are also by no means easy to service either - as they are blocked by the y-pipe section of exhaust. We've had to repair a few due to cracked pans or damage, and it's the labor that eats the majority of the cost. Per Chrysler, the internal fluids are "lifetime" rated. Service manuals don't specify to even touch it up to the 160,000 mile mark in the maintenance books.
Maybe you should take a look at what ZF reconmends instead of Chrysler who wants to sell you a new vehicle every couple years.ZF reconmends doing a service between 80,000 kilometers (50,000 miles) and 130,000 kilometers (80,000 miles)or 8 years.I tend to lean towards believing ZF over Chryco when it comes to servicing the 8 speed.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yes, the fluid is lifetime. When its lifetime is up, the transmission will take a giant sh*t on you.

I changed my pan/filter/OE fluid at 108k miles, but I did no towing or heavy hauling either. It needed it, and I most likely will do another around 150k.

Your truck, your choice.

Here's what my "lifetime" fluid looked like at 108k miles.
20210101_173936 (1).jpg

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You'll probably find that it is "lifetime" fluid unless you ....... do anything that the truck was designed for. Like 4x4, towing, low speed driving etc etc. Same with engine oil - my service manual says oil changes at 12 months or 12,000km. Except if doing.....everything it was designed for! Then it is every 7500km.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca