FM super 44 too loud?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeremy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just got a super 44 installed with tips out the back installed on my 06 ram hemi, and it's loud! It's not really the loudness but the low tone at some RPMs, gives me a headache! Anyone else had this happen. Considering swapping the muffler with a MF 18. Just sucks cause I just got the 44 put on 4 days ago!

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I dont have a Hemi. I have a FM 50 single in dual out. The isn't any drone. When I bought the truck the previous owner had installed a FM 10, that thing was annoying...

OP
OP
Jeremy73

Jeremy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I dont have a Hemi. I have a FM 50 single in dual out. The isn't any drone. When I bought the truck the previous owner had installed a FM 10, that thing was annoying...
Well the 50 was what I had planned on getting, but the exhaust shop guy talked me into a 44. I like to hear my exhaust in the cab, but not quite this much.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well the 50 was what I had planned on getting, but the exhaust shop guy talked me into a 44. I like to hear my exhaust in the cab, but not quite this much.

I hear it, but not if I have the music on. The 50 series is just loud enough to know it's there, but not loud enough to annoy.

If he talked you into it, maybe go back and complain stating that you were pressured into something you didn't want.

OP
OP
Jeremy73

Jeremy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hear it, but not if I have the music on. The 50 series is just loud enough to know it's there, but not loud enough to annoy.

If he talked you into it, maybe go back and complain stating that you were pressured into something you didn't want.
I considered that. maybe he'd swap me since it's only been on truck for 4 days. Not sure if they, can reuse it or not.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If they don't destroy it I would assume they could re use it

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got the FM 50 series HD 3" inlet dual 2.5" outlet and I love it, before this I had magnaflow 22" and was disappointed. Only downer with the 50, very aggressive idle. While I love that rumble I can hear it from my house when I use the auto start, I feel bad some mornings as I'm sure my neighbours can hear it! Cruising around town or on the highway it's not obnoxious, very manageable.

http://youtu.be/EufYruQLKEU

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've got the FM 50 series HD 3" inlet dual 2.5" outlet and I love it, before this I had magnaflow 22" and was disappointed. Only downer with the 50, very aggressive idle. While I love that rumble I can hear it from my house when I use the auto start, I feel bad some mornings as I'm sure my neighbours can hear it! Cruising around town or on the highway it's not obnoxious, very manageable.

2013 Ram 4.7 Flowmaster American Thunder Catback - YouTube

I can hear mine in my house too. But it quiets down after the initial start. I was using my remote start with the FM 10 series. It took me all of 2 days to move to the 50. I start my truck at 5:15 am for a 5:31 train into Manhattan... The 10 would actually shake the walls in my house while it was parked on the street.

OP
OP
Jeremy73

Jeremy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That sounds good. Yeah I think I shoulda gone with the 50. I'm gonna call on Monday and see if he'll at least make a deal with me to swap them out. Surely this 44 can still be used.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
I just got a super 44 installed with tips out the back installed on my 06 ram hemi, and it's loud! It's not really the loudness but the low tone at some RPMs, gives me a headache! Anyone else had this happen. Considering swapping the muffler with a MF 18. Just sucks cause I just got the 44 put on 4 days ago!

Do you have MDS? A lot of complaints about the sound of after market exhaust while the MDS is activated. If it's the MDS then you can deactivate it by putting it in tow/haul mode or turn it off with a tuner.

OP
OP
Jeremy73

Jeremy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No mds. I have an 06 1500 mega cab. The 1500 mega cab didn't come with the mds hemi. Just reg hemi. Not sure why though.

81bigbrett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the opposite problem with the super 44. I couldn't hardly hear it. I took it off and bought the 40 series original. The original is still to quite. I'm just going to deal with it though.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Just goes to show you how much exhaust tone/drone is really in the ear of the beholder haha

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just goes to show you how much exhaust tone/drone is really in the ear of the beholder haha

Couldn't agree with this more! Ramforumz is very pro magnaflow replacement (not knocking maggy), went with the majority of very positive reviews on there was thoroughly disappointed.

SFD213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Wanted a MF and guy ended up putting a FM50 on it and i was kinda pissed bc i lean towards MF. I have the exact same setup (from what ive read) as N1ck and i think its awesome. My brother compares it to nascar when you jump on it (i think hes nuts but its still loud) and its actually pretty mellow when you are cruising/idling/normal driving. Completely recommend it

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Here is a tip for you guys that want to hear the engine but not anoï the neighbours:

As I am working on my Magnum's intake baffle installing a Catch Can, I have temporarily made myself a makeshift CAI with some dust collection 4" tube. Because this tubing is very thin walled, the noise coming out of the TB is great and envelops the cabin between 2500~3000 rpm, but the outside noise is not changed at all.

For my wife's sake I will be putting the baffle back on the truck, but I do enjoy the sound currently, really does sound like a Muscle car even though it is only a 4.7.

My current setup cost about 15$ and can be adapted for pretty much any engine. If it ever raises interest I can post some pics and how to's but it is a very easy and low cost mod. Not sure it brings any HP gain as some real CAI can, but the sound is just great.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
What sounds nice is my short ram intake with 10in filter and Thrush Turbo.

That sounds nice.

But then, all that is eye of the beholder ****. :D

OP
OP
Jeremy73

Jeremy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Surprisingly, after 2 weeks or so it has simmered down just a tad. The unbearable low tone isn't so unbearable anymore. It's still pretty loud but think I'm gonna keep it for a bit. It's pretty mild during idle, but pretty mean under the throttle!

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got a couple of 10-series and no cats so it must still be quieter than mine lol.