Fog Lights Stuck On.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I have LEDs and no completely hazed housings. I can see just fine. :word:

I've got some pretty bad housings on my truck, it was impossible to see before switching to LEDs, i'm almost afraid to put in new housings for fear of blinding myself with the light reflected from the signs :roflsquared:

But really, LEDs are bright as day.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I've got some pretty bad housings on my truck, it was impossible to see before switching to LEDs, i'm almost afraid to put in new housings for fear of blinding myself with the light reflected from the signs :roflsquared:

But really, LEDs are bright as day.

Yeah, mine are fairly clear and road signs are pretty angry looking now

OP
OP
M

Mackenzie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
Well I have power right up to the wiper motor so I would say thats my problem. Gave it a littl tap and it actaully went through a wipe cycle once before seizing again. Will install a new one if I can figure out how to get the damn wiper arms off hahaha.

Still stuck on the fog lights, will have to trace out the wire on the next nice day.

Have a grinding and clicking noise coming from the drive belt/pulley aseembly now though. Wondering if its the idler pulley or possibly ac compressor. I have video id lie you guys to take a listen to, just wondering if I should post on this thread or under another? Thanks!

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Well I have power right up to the wiper motor so I would say thats my problem. Gave it a littl tap and it actaully went through a wipe cycle once before seizing again. Will install a new one if I can figure out how to get the damn wiper arms off hahaha.

Still stuck on the fog lights, will have to trace out the wire on the next nice day.

Have a grinding and clicking noise coming from the drive belt/pulley aseembly now though. Wondering if its the idler pulley or possibly ac compressor. I have video id lie you guys to take a listen to, just wondering if I should post on this thread or under another? Thanks!

Great to hear about the wipers, the steering column is a pair IMO. As for the belt, take your hand while it is running, and very carefully place a finger on the idler bolt, you will know if its that causing the issue right away. Mine has a bad bearing and you can hear the clicking from 6ft away. My bet is on that, i'm not replacing mine till the damn thing falls off.

As for your fogs, how far have you gotten? have you tested the relay as I described in a previous post?

OP
OP
M

Mackenzie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
Haven't had much time to troubleshoot the fog lights, did however remove the fog light relay and replace it with another, lights remained on though... Even with no relay in they stayed on so must be shorted somewhere before that...

The belt /pulley noise is getting worse.....took a video today, if you get a chance please check it out, any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S9gmsCtfuNY&feature=youtu.be

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
Sounds like my water pump when it was going bad about 6yrs ago

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Haven't had much time to troubleshoot the fog lights, did however remove the fog light relay and replace it with another, lights remained on though... Even with no relay in they stayed on so must be shorted somewhere before that...

The belt /pulley noise is getting worse.....took a video today, if you get a chance please check it out, any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S9gmsCtfuNY&feature=youtu.be

That kind of clicking could very well be coming from the water pump, especially with how rusted that one heater line is, the rest of the pump may not be in any better condition. From what I could get from the video, the clicking sounded intermittent.

As for your foglamp, that is a strange issue, but yes, it is shorted somewhere. All our lights are switched to ground, they have a straight connection to the battery that is live all the time. I'm actually fighting with mine right now to figure out why the fog lamps turn on my high beams. Stupid thing is, something after the fog relay is activating the high beam relay. So I get to print those schematics out later today.

According to the schematic, you should be looking for a short to ground somewhere between the lamps and terminal 30 on the relay.

Kpearson

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 RAM 2500
Engine
5.9 Gas
If your truck has daytime running lights, could it be like mine where when mine failed all the lights (headlights and park lights and fog lights) came on and stayed on? It ended up being the daytime running light module.

OP
OP
M

Mackenzie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
The more I hear it the more I'm thinking water pump as well...the clicking is fairly intermittent. Not sure if be comfortable swapping that out myself.....am I looking at a fairly expensive fix?

Thanks for the schematic info! I'll check it out tomorrow.

The daytime running lights could very well be a part of the issue!The truck originally did not have automatic daytime running lights but when I took in for an inspection the mechanic who looked it over added a "daytime running light kit" . Maybe not so coincidental .......

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
Water pump not hard to change just take your time doing it

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
The more I hear it the more I'm thinking water pump as well...the clicking is fairly intermittent. Not sure if be comfortable swapping that out myself.....am I looking at a fairly expensive fix?

Thanks for the schematic info! I'll check it out tomorrow.

The daytime running lights could very well be a part of the issue!The truck originally did not have automatic daytime running lights but when I took in for an inspection the mechanic who looked it over added a "daytime running light kit" . Maybe not so coincidental .......

That may be the cause, if it is, it may be quite a bit of work. The way our lights work is kind of convoluted. I figured out my issue last night. Switching out my low/high outer bulbs with LEDs caused my problem of the fogs turning on the high beams.

If he didnt install it correctly, its possible he wired it in, in such a way as to permanently ground the wire between the for lamp and the fog lamp relay. I would try to find out if he used an OEM daylight module or some aftermarket thing.

The question becomes, did it do this before or after he looked at it?