Front End Wobble Descending Steep Grades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Delano1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hello,

I have a front end wobble problem on my 2007 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4. I just experienced it for the first time on a trip to Colorado this past weekend. It only happened when I was descending steep 6-7% grades at highway speed. The slightest touch of the brakes caused the front end to start shaking. It would stop immediately when the brakes were released. It does not do it on level ground or anywhere else such as coming to a stop light. The truck has 145,000 miles on it, stock suspension, no lift, everything stock. Tires are new with 5000 miles on them. There is no brake pulsing or vibration when coming to stops. I am thinking maybe tie rods and ball joints. I have not had a chance to look at the hubs since then either, so worn wheel bearings is a possibility too. Any ideas on what it could be?
Thanks

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 06 4wd did this when I would hit the brakes going anything over 35mph. I changed my passenger front wheel bearing and it's 95% gone. I think the little bit still there is my driver bearing starting to go, cause my tie rods, ball joints, etc. Look fine. In order to torque the hub bolts properly, I recommend removing the cv shaft so it's out of the way.

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it is shaking front end, but not pulsating your brake pedal, most likely a bad front hub. If pedal is pulsating, then could be a warped rotor.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Delano1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks for the replies. The brakes seem fine. They are smooth and no pulsing at all when coming to a stop. From what you both have said, it sounds like hubs.
Thanks again