Front Windshield Tinted. Worth It?

Is it worth it?

• Yes, I felt a difference.

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • Nope, waste of money.

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can someone explain 5% and 15% Does that mean that the light is 5% or 15 % less coming thru the window ?

The % number we are quoting refers to VLT or visable light transmission. 5% would allow 5% of the visible light to come through and block 95% of visible light.

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I live in Arizona. I have my windows tinted at 20% all around. I've been kicking around the idea of getting front window done. Contacted my tint guy and he said he'd do it for $100.

Is it worth it? I live in Arizona, sun/heat is 120+ in the summer. I use a really good sunshade. Fits the Ram window, actually made to fit like a glove and it does.

Is that going to be better than the tint? Or the tint going to be better than a sunshade?

I've heard people say I don't need a sunshade any longer with the front window being tinted..

Pffft, here in Canada, that's a costly fine for doing that

true? I'm sure there are benefits to still using it... but.. I may call him up and have him do it Saturday..

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Be careful when tinting your windshield. It may be against the law. I had a Dodge Van that I had the windows tinted on and the technician told me that it i=was only legal to tint the top 5" of the windshield (see the little marks on the windshield with AS1 and an arrow pointing down).

https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/glass-window-tinting/
So I just found out today you CAN legally tint your front windshield in Texas even below the AS1 line.

The trick is that 1) Can't be colored 2) Has to be one of those see through ceramics

Even so, we're required to put our registration sticker on the glass, and it seems to me that would probably peel up the tint over time since those are very challenging to get off. And I'm pretty sure the factory RAM glass already has an anti-UV films sandwiched inside the glass. I also wonder if the ceramic over the front glass would screw with radar detector and GPS functionality. Hmmm...

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Yea had mine done in every vehicle and inspections require a square to be cut out for the sticker (they somehow always know on new vehicles it’s tinted) and scratch it when they cut it and other times they’ve damaged the tint to where I’ve had to have them pay to redo it... huge hassle all the time but well worth it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Culmer