Fuel efficiency 3.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Azhunter84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good morning all,

Looking for advice on how to become more fuel efficient. Granted my Ram is the 3.7, but it still seems to drink gas like the V8's.

Recent upgrades include:

New performance water pump and clutch fan

Muffler replacement with flowmaster series 40

JBA short tube headers

New 265.70.17 tires AT

Dual flow cold air intake

And full Recent tune up

It seems after upgrades my fuel economy is roughly the same if not worse. My next steps are to hollow out the cats, and eliminate the y pipe to make true dual exhaust.

Does anyone have any ideas, tips? Currently receiving 400 miles for a 26gal tank. (Mostly highway driving)

Thanks in advance.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Looking for advice on how to become more fuel efficient. Granted my Ram is the 3.7, but it still seems to drink gas like the V8's.
Very good reason for that. You have a very small displacement V6 that is trying to move around the same weight; it has to work that much harder than a V8 to move the truck which is going to translate to more fuel used.
None of the modifications you have made nor any that you are planning will help with fuel economy. I'd like to see a pic of your intake, because I'm willing to bet your "dual flow cold air intake" isn't cold at all but a hot air intake, which will hurt power. Never heard of a performance water pump for a 3.7.....
400 miles to a 26gal tank is what I average in my modified hemi quad cab lol.

OP
OP
A

Azhunter84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Very good reason for that. You have a very small displacement V6 that is trying to move around the same weight; it has to work that much harder than a V8 to move the truck which is going to translate to more fuel used.
None of the modifications you have made nor any that you are planning will help with fuel economy. I'd like to see a pic of your intake, because I'm willing to bet your "dual flow cold air intake" isn't cold at all but a hot air intake, which will hurt power. Never heard of a performance water pump for a 3.7.....
400 miles to a 26gal tank is what I average in my modified hemi quad cab lol.
See attached. On the waterpump, it was not purchased performance, it was modified by myself. I had the inside housing machined to fit a deeper impeller with larger fins.

From my understanding any exhaust restriction cuts performance and dampers MPG. That's why I was looking to delete/hollow the cats, and eliminate the y for more flow. I'm I'm wrong, I stand corrected. 20220324_091107.jpg20220324_091120.jpg20220324_091206.jpg20220324_091303.jpg

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
See attached. On the waterpump, it was not purchased performance, it was modified by myself. I had the inside housing machined to fit a deeper impeller with larger fins.

From my understanding any exhaust restriction cuts performance and dampers MPG. That's why I was looking to delete/hollow the cats, and eliminate the y for more flow. I'm I'm wrong, I stand corrected.View attachment 489416
Yep, hot air intake lol. Where do you think that is pulling any kind of cold air from? Putting the original air inlet tract back in would actually give you a CAI.
Interesting idea on the water pump.
Increasing exhaust size is only advantageous to a point; go too large and it doesn't help at all, especially with baby motors. The trick is to make the exhaust system more efficient for the engine you HAVE. You sir have a stock 210hp (might be 215hp seeing as it's a 2007) 3.7 V6. If you eliminate the cats you'll need a custom tune (if any program is compatible with your PCM) to turn off the rear O2 sensors; I can tell you that probably won't happen since the recent EPA crackdown on tuners. If you can do that yourself then you're good. If you don't turn them off and remove the cats, not only will you have codes but it will affect the engine as well.

OP
OP
A

Azhunter84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I guess this "baby motor" will give me what she gives me. And yes you can get a tune for this 3.7 pcm. (Next step).

Also, on the cat delete idea. Simple fix. For no codes, and to trick the pcm is to install defoulers.

Also forgot to mention I tapped and plugged the heater core jackets and removed the thermostat to run full cool with the upgraded water pump.

And the "HOT AIR INTAKE" provides more airflow and cooling then the stock air box. I'd like to think the new cluch fan produces enough "cold air" for the engine bay.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Don't get incensed, not all 3.7 PCM's were capable of being custom tuned. As I said, I hope you can do it yourself because no one will turn off your emissions equipment. Sometimes the anti-foulers work, sometimes they don't.
Ohhh, so you're running your engine too cool so it can sludge up because it'll never get up to a high enough temp to burn the condensation out of the oil lol (something this engine family is known for).
It may offer more airflow, but cooling I doubt. Bet IAT's would tell a different story lol.
Clutch fan is strictly there to pull air through the radiator for heat transfer (after going through the radiator); it's not designed to overpower the ambient engine heat or attempt to supply cool intake air, especially if the shroud is still in place.

OP
OP
A

Azhunter84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't get incensed, not all 3.7 PCM's were capable of being custom tuned. As I said, I hope you can do it yourself because no one will turn off your emissions equipment. Sometimes the anti-foulers work, sometimes they don't.
Ohhh, so you're running your engine too cool so it can sludge up because it'll never get up to a high enough temp to burn the condensation out of the oil lol (something this engine family is known for).
It may offer more airflow, but cooling I doubt. Bet IAT's would tell a different story lol.
Clutch fan is strictly there to pull air through the radiator for heat transfer (after going through the radiator); it's not designed to overpower the ambient engine heat or attempt to supply cool intake air, especially if the shroud is still in place.
Lol, are you getting intimidated by the 3.7? Little man complex?
I'm quite sure you're incorrect that "no one will do it"

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Neither you nor your tiny engine are going to intimidate much :hahano::hahano::hahano::hahano::hahano::hahano::hahano:
As for "no one", I'm sure you might find a tuner who doesn't care about his business, but it shows how out of touch with reality and the hobby you are: https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2...crackdowns-spell-big-trouble-for-speed-shops/
Have fun with that lol :Moon::Moon:

OP
OP
A

Azhunter84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol. Must be an armchair mechanic. The "hobby". I'll put my ls1 against anything you built or own.

Hell, when I'm done with this "baby engine" I'll put it against your hemi any day. My 3800 could probably dust you.

But I forgot you know everything about nothing. I was looking for tips, not pretenders.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Roughly 15mpg? Yeah that would be annoying.

I don't know much about this particular powertrain. What transmission? Axle ratio?

On a stock truck, more gears, lower rear end ratio and highway tread all-season passenger car tires aired up as high as you can go are the biggest ways to increase fuel economy. What you've done is going to do nothing for fuel economy. That stuff is all for the looks and sound.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Must be an armchair mechanic.
:roflsquared::roflsquared:roflsquared.gif:roflsquared:roflsquared.gif:roflsquared:
Yes, I'm pretty sure you are lol. Plus anyone who has to talk themselves up usually has insecurity issues ("I'll put my ls1 against anything you built or own. Hell, when I'm done with this "baby engine" I'll put it against your hemi any day. My 3800 could probably dust you."). It's ok lol. You'll go on some more about how bad ass your hot air intake 3.7 is and then you'll just fade like a fart in the wind like all the others LMAO.

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol, are you getting intimidated by the 3.7? Little man complex?
I'm quite sure you're incorrect that "no one will do it"
What a fu@#$%$ idiot you are. You ask for help and a man kindly tells you the truth, obviously something you do not like to hear, and you start the mane calling? typical tell me what i want to hear not the truth. Ok here is what you want, changing your spark plugs will give you 6 million more horse power and increase your mileage by 8 thousand miles per gallon. You have what you have with that 6 banger. stop looking up when you are taking a leak, nothing is going to change.

OP
OP
A

Azhunter84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What a fu@#$%$ idiot you are. You ask for help and a man kindly tells you the truth, obviously something you do not like to hear, and you start the mane calling? typical tell me what i want to hear not the truth. Ok here is what you want, changing your spark plugs will give you 6 million more horse power and increase your mileage by 8 thousand miles per gallon. You have what you have with that 6 banger. stop looking up when you are taking a leak, nothing is going to change.
Oh wow another lubricated liberal peice of $h!t. Quite funny how people are quick to ridicule instead of offering genuine advice.

Maybe stick to what you do best, stay behind a computer screen and trash talk. Otherwise you might have to face reality and get more than your feelings hurt.

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh wow another lubricated liberal peice of $h!t. Quite funny how people are quick to ridicule instead of offering genuine advice.

Maybe stick to what you do best, stay behind a computer screen and trash talk. Otherwise you might have to face reality and get more than your feelings hurt.
oooooooooooooooooo what a tough one you are little boy. And it is I before e accept after c so its Piece of $hit just like you and your v6. There is no genuine advice for you and the question you asked other than what you do not want to hear. You remind me of a soy boy kid that keeps saying mom please tell what i want to hear and not reality. By the way are you Eric Cartman? And as far as getting hurt, I highly doubt it, just look at the truck you drive.

OP
OP
A

Azhunter84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
oooooooooooooooooo what a tough one you are little boy. And it is I before e accept after c so its Piece of $hit just like you and your v6. There is no genuine advice for you and the question you asked other than what you do not want to hear. You remind me of a soy boy kid that keeps saying mom please tell what i want to hear and not reality. By the way are you Eric Cartman? And as far as getting hurt, I highly doubt it, just look at the truck you drive.
Lol, you keep referring to the size of the engine. "V6" and "look at the truck you drive". Unlike yourself, I'm not trying to over compensate for something.

It's quite obvious you're one of those LGBT libtards with little man complex.

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol, you keep referring to the size of the engine. "V6" and "look at the truck you drive". Unlike yourself, I'm not trying to over compensate for something.

It's quite obvious you're one of those LGBT libtards with little man complex.
Oh yea that's me. Jacked up loud ass 4x4 and all. Boy you got everything all figured out. Hell there is no need for you to ask anyone anything. Good luck in life, you are going to need it.

OP
OP
A

Azhunter84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh yea that's me. Jacked up loud ass 4x4 and all. Boy you got everything all figured out. Hell there is no need for you to ask anyone anything. Good luck in life, you are going to need it.
See ya, point proven! "Jacked up 4x4" "loud ass". Animated little man complex.

As I recall, I asked for advice, and I clearly stated what I've done. However, I don't recall stating the truck was a "hot rod", a "muscle car" or even a dragster for that matter.

To criticize and be a ***** instead of offering constructive criticism and or tips, just further proves someone's inadequately somewhere.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Things I see:

With the MAF sensor on one side of the CAI it’s not reading airflow properly. It should have been made with it after the split, closer to the throttle body.

Put a thermostat back in. The computer is going to use a lot of gas trying to keep the engine at operating temp.

Lighter rims and a good, hard, highway tire.

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
See ya, point proven! "Jacked up 4x4" "loud ass". Animated little man complex.

As I recall, I asked for advice, and I clearly stated what I've done. However, I don't recall stating the truck was a "hot rod", a "muscle car" or even a dragster for that matter.

To criticize and be a ***** instead of offering constructive criticism and or tips, just further proves someone's inadequately somewhere.
you were offered constructive criticism and you refused it. I am done with you child, sure you have heard that before, have a great day and a wonderful life.

OP
OP
A

Azhunter84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Things I see:

With the MAF sensor on one side of the CAI it’s not reading airflow properly. It should have been made with it after the split, closer to the throttle body.

Put a thermostat back in. The computer is going to use a lot of gas trying to keep the engine at operating temp.

Lighter rims and a good, hard, highway tire.
Thanks,

I'll plug that port and move the sensor towards the back and see if I notice any gains.

The purpose of removing the stat was because I put one of those JET stage 2 chips on the pcm. After I installed, I noticed it ran hotter. It really didn't make any improvements on mpg as it claims, but it did improve the shift points.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for a miracle on mpg. Just some improvement. It's a work truck. I put 80k on it last year alone. With gas prices being the way they are, and still needing a truck for work I choose to drive the v6 instead of the Silverado. I figured it'd be worth wild trying to improve the mpg on the smaller engine.