Grille Paint Decision

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all,

Had my grill color matched around the outer edges and the two loops that come in, for a super good deal from a paint shop guy doing side jobs. I was leaving the center grille portion black similar to the 5th gen sport grille. I left the middle portion just in the matte black/greyish color it came.

Anyways I got the Ram letters in the other day (they aren't installed yet just for the pic). I've had the grille done for a few months now, and I'm wishing I would have had him gloss black the black portion. I was at the dealer the other day and noticed the 5th gens have it black glossed. And I like how the new night editions grilles look.

In this pic the black looks fairly dark, at night it looks great, but in bright sunlight I don't like the matte as much because to me it looks unfinished and too grey.

So now that I have my letters I need to decide. Truck is an express with color matched fender flares and bumpers. I want the letters to stand out slightly so I don't want them the exact same color as the grille which they are now.

• Leave grille as is and black gloss the RAM letters?
  • Have paint guy black gloss the grille and leave the letters Matte?
  • Leave as is and color match the RAM letters to Max Steel?
  • Have him black gloss the grille and color match the letters?
  • Other ideas? Any easier way (products) to get the matte portion of grille to look blacker or glossier without painting?
Ram.jpg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
Hey all,

Had my grill color matched around the outer edges and the two loops that come in, for a super good deal from a paint shop guy doing side jobs. I was leaving the center grille portion black similar to the 5th gen sport grille. I left the middle portion just in the matte black/greyish color it came.

Anyways I got the Ram letters in the other day (they aren't installed yet just for the pic). I've had the grille done for a few months now, and I'm wishing I would have had him gloss black the black portion. I was at the dealer the other day and noticed the 5th gens have it black glossed. And I like how the new night editions grilles look.

In this pic the black looks fairly dark, at night it looks great, but in bright sunlight I don't like the matte as much because to me it looks unfinished and too grey.

So now that I have my letters I need to decide. Truck is an express with color matched fender flares and bumpers. I want the letters to stand out slightly so I don't want them the exact same color as the grille which they are now.

• Leave grille as is and black gloss the RAM letters?
  • Have paint guy black gloss the grille and leave the letters Matte?
  • Leave as is and color match the RAM letters to Max Steel?
  • Have him black gloss the grille and color match the letters?
  • Other ideas? Any easier way (products) to get the matte portion of grille to look blacker or glossier without painting?
Ram.jpg
Personally I would black gloss the grill and color match the lettering. Either way looks nice

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Personally I would black gloss the grill and color match the lettering. Either way looks nice

Yeah I think that would look great. I just wish I had him do it when he did the rest of the Grille as the cost would have been the same. Rather than making him spray it twice.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
Yeah I think that would look great. I just wish I had him do it when he did the rest of the Grille as the cost would have been the same. Rather than making him spray it twice.
It dNGK Laser Iridium Spark Plug (SILZKR6B10E)

NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plug (SILZKR6B10E)

Does suck, but do it the way you want it. You know you will look at it every day and wish you did. But honestly I think it's going to look nice no matter what you do