Hard time shifting from park in the mornings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

transamphoenix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I too have this problem on my 2018 Power Wagon. Exactly as the OP described. Setting parking brake doesn’t make a big difference. Typically in the mornings. Very curious on a fix

N0NAMETOGIVE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 / 6.4
Apply parking brake gently until it holds in neutral, and let it settle before placing in park. Zero weight on transmission.

jaflowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Apply parking brake gently until it holds in neutral, and let it settle before placing in park. Zero weight on transmission.
I'll have to give that a try next time I park in my driveway which is a terrible slope.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, that is indeed the correct way to do it when parking on a slope. However, sounds like these guys are having binding issues that are not related putting pressure on the trans from parking on a hill.

N0NAMETOGIVE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 / 6.4
I would also check around the shifter column, used motor or transmission mounts. It could also be like my 5500 that always pops the rear end when going from Drive into Neutral since new.

jaflowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I did this last night, cold and snowing. Worked like a champ. Going to do that the next several days and see if that's indeed the trick. Thanks for passing on this knowledge!!!!

N0NAMETOGIVE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 / 6.4
You're Welcome. The reason I say gently is so you minimize cable stretch , and adjustment. If your rear brakes ever squeak after releasing the parking brake when you start driving, slowly roll with your foot on the brake, press the parking brake slightly while holding the disengage handle. Kind of like a clutch, slight in and out. Works every time.

truck2569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For context I have a 2014 ram 2500 does anyone else have a hard time shifting from park in the mornings it only happens in the mornings and from they it’s fine I do remote start it so that it can warm up but it makes no difference has anyone gone thru this and if so what have you done to fix it ( also I’ve already broken and replaced the gear shifter bracket)
Just hit your brake a couple of times that is what works for me