Header poll

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Noeyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This isn't necessarily what brand or type to buy. What I'm looking for is whether or not those that have had the problems with broken manifold bolts and replaced them with headers have solved their issues. I've seen countless threads about the bolt problems and suggestions on replacing them with headers to fix but no real long term "yeah it fixed mine" or "no, it was good for x amount of miles then right back to ticking again." Just curious what those that have replaced them with headers have to say about their results.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Most of them have solved the issue, at least short term. If you want more of a guarantee have a machine shop install the headers and machine the bolt holes. But if it were me and it will be soon as I will be getting headers, I wouldn't do that first. Just let them put the headers on and if later the bolts tick have it machined.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My JBA's have been on for 37,000 miles with no issues. I did spring for Remflex gaskets though,and love them. I think they're superior to the OEM 6.1 gaskets,and don't require re-torqueing.If you're doing headers,i'd seriously look into using the 5.7/6.1 Remflex gaskets.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
had one in the back that broke at around 35k km, installed arh lt with remflex gasket and so far so good after 25k km.

imo there's a lot less material with headers compared to the stock manifold so when they stress because of heat cycle the bolts are strong enough to resist the force

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My JBA's have been on for 37,000 miles with no issues. I did spring for Remflex gaskets though,and love them. I think they're superior to the OEM 6.1 gaskets,and don't require re-torqueing.If you're doing headers,i'd seriously look into using the 5.7/6.1 Remflex gaskets.

What did you use for bolts, Rick?

I've had my ARH pretty well since the truck was new and recently discovered a snapped bolt on the drivers side towards the front. Hoping it's just a fluke but I'm thinking of replacing the gaskets/bolts anyway.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Ive not had any bolts break with aftermarket headers, and Ive run them on numerous of my Hemi trucks.

Mr Papagiorgio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I would run 10.9 M8-1.25 30mm bolts, with lock washer and washers.

The larger head allows a much better grip when tighting.

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So are most of you guys just using the bolts that come with the headers??

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I picked up a set of stainless locking header bolts from summit. I haven’t had issues yet

I Bleed Ram Trucks

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
So are most of you guys just using the bolts that come with the headers??
Yes...the bolts that come with the headers work great. The Stage 8 locking header bolts are not a good option for the 4th gen Rams because the locking clips rattle and get picked up by the knock sensors.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yes...the bolts that come with the headers work great. The Stage 8 locking header bolts are not a good option for the 4th gen Rams because the locking clips rattle and get picked up by the knock sensors.

Matt nailed it,and if you ever want to remove the headers,you'll go looking for the sumbitch that sold the Stage 8's to you,lol. Removing those clips will cause a few choice words,been there/done that,lol.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
I also did Remflex gaskets and stage 8 bolts (but didn't use the locking tabs) -- ARH LT headers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Noeyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Appreciate all the responses guys. I'm more of a proactive than reactive person. Truck has 4000 miles on it and deciding whether or not to swap to headers to save problems down the road. I don't care anything about more power or sound, just reliability and peace of mind.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Appreciate all the responses guys. I'm more of a proactive than reactive person. Truck has 4000 miles on it and deciding whether or not to swap to headers to save problems down the road. I don't care anything about more power or sound, just reliability and peace of mind.
If that's the case, you could go ahead and swap out cam & lifters to non-MDS thumper also........LOL