Headers for Ram 5.7 Hemi TROUBLES!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cammed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram rt
Engine
cammed 5.7
It can be done heck i can take vacation from work and we can all build it and start up a pod cast and youtube Channel and start selling them and have a commercial with a little kid saying my pawpaw got the fastest ramscal in town lol do u all remember the rascal mobility scooter commercial

Bluto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Alright so I bought the BBK (4014) 1-5/8" Chrome Shorty Tuned-Length Exhaust Header https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007V97KHE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for my 2012 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi in Oct 2018...I now have a leak on my drivers side and was told to go back to the OEM single stack headers because the single stacks dont give the power I was seeking when I replaced the OEM with these...I also found the JBA Headers Cat4ward Headers 1961S-2JT https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jba-1961s-2jt with thicker flanks but ofc those are way more expensive and I feel the single stacks are better...my question is do I save money and go back to OEM or do people feel the single stacks really do improve performance? I replaced my engine with a rebuilt in Jan 2019 and its still under warranty and costed a pretty penny and I wish to keep my engine in best order possible and appreciate any help!
My engine just went bye bye as well. I also had BBK shorties. After 4 years the collectors started to rust through and leak. So I am where you kind of are. I needed to replace the engine and the headers. I thought of oem manifolds but couldn’t bring myself to do it.
But I realize in NY I need stainless headers.

I picked up the powergo stainless shorty headers and arp bolts (and I think I’m adding a tq converter). They were very inexpensive. Just got them last week. Wow are they nice. Great welds. So yea that’s the route I’m taking. Just waiting for the shop to get order the engine and get it done.

djnelson5460

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For those that ran headers, is wrapping the headers a must for protecting the nearby components, or is it more for looks/overall engine bay temp?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
For those that ran headers, is wrapping the headers a must for protecting the nearby components, or is it more for looks/overall engine bay temp?
More to keep the knock sensors happier ,plus it'll help keep the under hood temp down. The knock sensors are famous for picking up the internal noises in the headers and pulling timing on you.Quite a few tuners are reconmending wrapping headers these days just because of the knock sensor issues.It's better to wrap the headers then it is to desensitize the knock sensors

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Well I'm even older than either one of you. If the Good Lord allows it, I'll turn 68 in June, But I still love fast cars.

Damn you're close to Pull Ya's age,lol.I think Jay might even have a year or 2 on you though,lol.Morning Jay,lol

cammed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram rt
Engine
cammed 5.7
I never wrapped mine and I have not had any problems but with my luck by me saying that something will go wrong lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I never wrapped mine and I have not had any problems but with my luck by me saying that something will go wrong lol

There's been a few guys on the facebook pages who've had issues with the knock sensors pulling timing and their tuners have reconmended wrapping the headers to miniunimize the issue,other wise you have to desensitize the sensors,and that's not usually a good idea .My JBA's have been on for 6 years now,and i wrapped them right from word go,as i was looking for every last bit of power i could get out of the headers,and wrapping them also keeps heat in the primaries promoting better exhaust gas velocity in the primaries and better cylinder scavenging,so i've never ran into the false knock issue,lol.Mine are double wrapped just to keep as much heat in the primaries as possible,means you can put your hand on them even after driving 150 miles,lol

cammed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram rt
Engine
cammed 5.7
There's been a few guys on the facebook pages who've had issues with the knock sensors pulling timing and their tuners have reconmended wrapping the headers to miniunimize the issue,other wise you have to desensitize the sensors,and that's not usually a good idea .My JBA's have been on for 6 years now,and i wrapped them right from word go,as i was looking for every last bit of power i could get out of the headers,and wrapping them also keeps heat in the primaries promoting better exhaust gas velocity in the primaries and better cylinder scavenging,so i've never ran into the false knock issue,lol.Mine are double wrapped just to keep as much heat in the primaries as possible,means you can put your hand on them even after driving 150 miles,lol
thanks for the info I don't know what the guy did with mine if he desensitized my sensors or not

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
i got false knock on my old truck and had jba’s

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine

In my inexperience :D I'm 41 for all the guys my Dad's age :p:cool:. It's much easier (cheaper) to wrap the components that don't do well with heat (brake lines, transmission cable, etc etc. I list these as general because there are too many combinations of headers to know.

If it's a daily definitely wrap the "other" components. Even if you have wrapped or coated headers still protect your other parts with heat shielding.

Obviously if it's a race truck wrap the headers if you want.

I've used coating on headers before. For the cost let's just say I wouldn't pay someone else to do it in the future. I'd learn this one myself doing it over again. Way too expensive otherwise to me.

LilRuss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Alright so I bought the BBK (4014) 1-5/8" Chrome Shorty Tuned-Length Exhaust Header https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007V97KHE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for my 2012 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi in Oct 2018...I now have a leak on my drivers side and was told to go back to the OEM single stack headers because the single stacks dont give the power I was seeking when I replaced the OEM with these...I also found the JBA Headers Cat4ward Headers 1961S-2JT https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jba-1961s-2jt with thicker flanks but ofc those are way more expensive and I feel the single stacks are better...my question is do I save money and go back to OEM or do people feel the single stacks really do improve performance? I replaced my engine with a rebuilt in Jan 2019 and its still under warranty and costed a pretty penny and I wish to keep my engine in best order possible and appreciate any help!

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
BBK is like Pacesetter cheap crap. I am really shocked ****** didn't jump on headers for the Ram. I see the black heart headers. I always liked running ******. Kooks, JBA, and afe are all good choices.