Headlight Gremlins!! Need assistance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RammingTime101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 VVT
Hey y'all, this is the first place I knew to go since I've checked countless threads and could not find this exact issue anywhere.

Below I have 4 pictures. Two of the passenger side w/ and without high beam. And the same for the drivers side.

My year is 2018 V6 Tradesman. The drivers side headlight led is dimmer than the passenger side. It will still auto brighten whenever I start the truck but it stays in this dim state as long as it wants to.

I literally drove to the auto parts store one night as it was dim and it came back on full brightness like magic. With the illuminated approach (turns lights on when you click unlock) I've noticed during the day it will randomly be off.

The problem only used to last a few minutes and it would kick back on. Now the time it's dim seems longer than before. Usually driving would turn it back to full brightness but I just drove a full hour and no luck.

I've wiggled plugs, tapped it, removed fuses, even fully disconnected my battery and nothing seems to be the root cause.

I haven't torn the headlight apart because clearly if it's coming back on to full power randomly that means it's still working.

I'm at a loss of what it could be. Any help is appreciated. Thank you all for helping me solve the gremlin infestation.
IMG_20231208_223725346.jpgIMG_20231208_223717092.jpgIMG_20231208_223755498.jpgIMG_20231208_223749233.jpg

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you swapped the driver side bulb to the passenger side to verify it’s not the bulb? LED bulbs fail differently than Incandescent, typically what you are experiencing. I suspect the bulb is on its way out.

OP
OP
R

RammingTime101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 VVT
No I have not yet, this seems like the next best thing to do honestly. I will definitely try this tomorrow. They were installed this year but the one that keeps going out may be defective. Your method is the perfect way to test this.

I'm just glad this isn't a one off problem especially since I've spent countless hours trying to find the exact problem. Thank you

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you swapped the driver side bulb to the passenger side to verify it’s not the bulb? LED bulbs fail differently than Incandescent, typically what you are experiencing. I suspect the bulb is on its way out.

This is exactly what I see with household LED lights, over and over again.

First, you see a wee bit of flickering action which usually develops into a periodic off state, then it may come back on or not.

After a full restart, everything appears to function properly, then it starts the flickering again followed by the off state.

Swapping sides will confirm. Good call. :cool:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm just glad this isn't a one off problem especially since I've spent countless hours trying to find the exact problem. Thank you
It’s not a one off problem for sure. I’ve seen LED bulbs that flat out failed. A few that cut on and off. One that was dim all the time and a few that the LED chips failed on one side but not the other. Good luck with your troubleshooting.

OP
OP
R

RammingTime101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 VVT
Hey I figured the problem out. It was the low quality LED bulb I put in. You know how led's have two rectangular light panels on each side? The one side was dim and the other side full brightness. So thats what caused the light to be dim.

I got a way better quality bulb and the difference is night and day. These new bulbs are so bright I can see into the future :Rock on::rotflmao:

Thank you guys again. Problem solved!!! :signs1:

Rdriskill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I'm having a led issue myself. I have a 2019 RAM 2500 limited with factory led panoramic headlights with automatic high beams . Recently I noticed that my passenger side high beam wasn't working. The dealership told me I had to replace the whole headlight assembly which cost $1,600. Is this true or can the one element be changed or can it be a fuse or relay?
I can't find anything on the web about the factory led headlights only aftermarket?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357