Help with 2017 PW transmission fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Red Machine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I’m just past 90k miles, would like to get it changed out myself. Not worried in my ability to do it, just knowing I got the right parts. Biggest question is if the pan I saw (with drain plug) will be good enough for occasional off-roading or should I just stick with the OEM and how much fluid capacity is. Thanks for any help and I’m all for some recommendations.IMG_6805.png

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You might want to use a mopar sump filter they have a little pink pressure relief valve on it. You might want a oil filter metal thread upgrade as well, the canister filter comes with plastic and when they break so does the transmsion. Is there a reason why get rid of oem drain pan? It is better then dorman.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
This is the exact one you want trust me, most of these dont fit tight, this one does. Over twenty guys on this forum used this one.

OP
OP
B

Big Red Machine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
You might want to use a mopar sump filter they have a little pink pressure relief valve on it. You might want an oil filter metal thread upgrade as well, the canister filter comes with plastic and when they break so does the transmsion. Is there a reason why get rid of oem drain pan? It is better then dorman.
There’s really not other than having a drain plug, but when I really think about it, it’s not like it needs to be changed THAT often. I’m more curious if it’s even worth it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
We had guys put on dorman on rfe only to change it again, something about not being deep enough. Even if you do a fluid swap at some point and leave the filters on, you can use a mighty pump and pump it out of dip stick, that is what I do. Yes I do take pan off and do filters as well, but drain bolt is nice but for it to make sense you need a real upgrade with fins to get extra cooling and aluminum to strength. @Hemi395

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I’m just past 90k miles, would like to get it changed out myself. Not worried in my ability to do it, just knowing I got the right parts. Biggest question is if the pan I saw (with drain plug) will be good enough for occasional off-roading or should I just stick with the OEM and how much fluid capacity is. Thanks for any help and I’m all for some recommendations.View attachment 531684

After you do the change, you can take out a few quarta wiith a pump and keep the fluid fresh.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There’s really not other than having a drain plug, but when I really think about it, it’s not like it needs to be changed THAT often. I’m more curious if it’s even worth it.
B&M used to sell a drain bolt kit for the transmission. I have used it with much success on many GM pans in the past. They're super cheap too.