High Mileage Engine Oil Use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
How many of you use high mileage engine oil, recommended beyond 75,000 miles?

I know it contains elastomer sweller additive (esters of some type) to lessen oil leaks past hardened and worn rubber seals.

Does it make any difference in lessening leakage seen from your dipstick? Less leak spots on the garage floor?

Seal age should matter too, right? Elastomers harden with age even when not exposed to sunlight, though not as fast. Does this mean high mileage engine oil should be used past some number of years also?

Just curious, I've never used it and haven't noticed high oil consumption with age (except for defective designs like GM AFM V8's).

Experiences and ponderances welcomed!

metalchewy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
4.7L
I put it in in my fall oil change for the first time.

I'm sitting at 198k miles on the 4.7 and it uses a little bit of oil. I think it's mild blow-by, as I changed the valve stem seals in 2022.

Oil consumption / Usage didn't change. Will try a step up thicker weight next time.

My truck doesn't drip, so no idea on leak stoppage.

max2bob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 392
one oil change ago on my 22 year old 3.0 h6 i switched to royal purple hmx high mileage oil. 120,000 miles on car and a slight leak . did not think much about it until one day i noticed i was not leaving a spot of oil behind where i park . the only thing different was the switch from regular royal purple to the high mileage so in my case it worked. i actually got a great deal on the oil and that is why i used it not thinking it would help anything. on this oil change i already have the high mileage royal purple ready to go in again.

BenWade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been running PPHM 5w20 since 100k miles. Currently at 165k. Hemi has never leaked and never burned oil.

Not too many other fully synthetic high mileage oils out there??