Hilly Driving Coolant gurgling and bubbling after shutdown Is it “Normal”(?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fisherman95338

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 v8 gas
My 2019 Ram Hemi 1500 tows my 2500 lb boat/ trailer up and down lots of 7% to 10% grades fishing in the mountains. Boiled over out of the reservoir last trip to 7000’ after hour climb from 500’ altitude, in all the drive was 4 hours across the valley and up to Sequoia NP.

Most HOT days (95 degrees and up) while driving to a from lakes (90 miles round trip) the coolant gurgles and bubbles in the back of the engine compartment after shutdown (my driveway is a 5% grade). Even if not towing. If I aim the truck downhill, no such noise.

Dealer checked out coolant system, fan, radiator cap, no codes thrown. (no problem foundOperating temperatures while towing are 203 crusing but climbs to 220 to 231 on grades. Fan comes on about 228 and stays on till engine shutdown on serious hot days.

The truck uses about a Pint of OAT coolant per month. No leaks found by RAM dealer or me. ). Is there a bleed plug on these engines? Once the coolant level was below Minimum, I added half a gallon.

I’ve started idling engine for 10 minutes after I park the truck and trailer before fishing and after getting home. When I get temperature down under 208 I shut it off.

Am I doing enough to protect my investment?