Hitch ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
My next ad on to my 2015 SLT Quad Cab V6 Pentstar will be a Hitch,, Found it funny it is wired for a hitch but no hitch lol. I am leaning on a Class 4 even though that will be way over kill for me , as I will not be towing a camper,just maybe a 14/16ft Boat ! What brands do you Gals and Guys like the best as far as looks,how its made,ease of install! Install videos on You Tube and the dealers look fairly easy even for a old fart like me :) as for cost all seem to be less the $200

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Looks like Curt makes the only Class IV hitch for your truck. https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2015_Ram_1500.htm?style=&furl=-pt-Class_IV-pt-Class_III
They also make a decent looking Class III, but its roughly the same cost. I'd rather have a beefier hitch, even if I don't need it. They are fairly easy to install, as they are bolt on applications. The hardest thing to do is left it and hold it in position while you run the bolts. With a helper it is much easier. Without a helper I would suggest the use of tow straps or floor jacks to help lift them up. I've installed a couple hitches over the years, they are pretty straightforward.

Good luck!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Curt makes just what you need. They have a 1/2T Ram Truck Class IV hitch.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
IMHO you can never be "over kill" when it comes to towing and hitches. Curt has a great reputation for price, fit and quality.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Thanks for all the replies,, Yea a beefier hitch is better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it lol. CURT it is :) Thanks FYI I have 4 BIG sons for helpers :)

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMHO you can never be "over kill" when it comes to towing and hitches. Curt has a great reputation for price, fit and quality.

Only way you can go overkill on a hitch, is if you put one on that is rated higher than your truck, and then try to go by what the hitch can handle, not what the truck is rated for.

Laugh, but I've seen people do it.

Put a class V hitch on a truck rated for 5000 lbs max, and then try to tow 10k+ cuz the hitch says it can.......

zrfraser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My next ad on to my 2015 SLT Quad Cab V6 Pentstar will be a Hitch,, Found it funny it is wired for a hitch but no hitch lol. I am leaning on a Class 4 even though that will be way over kill for me , as I will not be towing a camper,just maybe a 14/16ft Boat ! What brands do you Gals and Guys like the best as far as looks,how its made,ease of install! Install videos on You Tube and the dealers look fairly easy even for a old fart like me :) as for cost all seem to be less the $200

I'm in the same boat, but will probably go with the Class III. No boat, no camper, and only have a access to a small utility trailer.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Only way you can go overkill on a hitch, is if you put one on that is rated higher than your truck, and then try to go by what the hitch can handle, not what the truck is rated for.

Laugh, but I've seen people do it.

Put a class V hitch on a truck rated for 5000 lbs max, and then try to tow 10k+ cuz the hitch says it can.......

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Oops! Sent the above by mistake.

TRCM,

Right on, I've seen the same. Even had one guy argue that the hitch rating changed his truck rating thereby allowing him to safely and legally tow heavier loads.

My remarks were meant to say you can't overkill the hitch. That it will for sure give you a stronger than required hitch. It should be understood you don't tow heavier than the vehicle is rated.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I'm in the same boat, but will probably go with the Class III. No boat, no camper, and only have a access to a small utility trailer.
I am leaning on the Class 4 as the cost difference is small, And a Beefier hitch sounds good to me :) as for a boat I do not have yet lol But will soon and only be a aluminum w a 40 horse motor nothing fancy :) And a utility trailer soon as well which will help haul a canoe !

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oops! Sent the above by mistake.

TRCM,

Right on, I've seen the same. Even had one guy argue that the hitch rating changed his truck rating thereby allowing him to safely and legally tow heavier loads.

My remarks were meant to say you can't overkill the hitch. That it will for sure give you a stronger than required hitch. It should be understood you don't tow heavier than the vehicle is rated.

I knew what ya meant....was just expounding on it. You can never have a hitch that is too strong, but you can have one that is stronger than your truck.

I also agree it should be understood that the truck is the limit if the hitch is higher rated...but hey, common sense ain't so common anymore.

I personally agree......on the truck in my avatar, a 79 dodge ramcharger (with the last short bed conversion kit made on it by the way..lol), was only rated for like 8k or similar, and I found a massive class V hitch that was made for 350/3500 chevy & dodge dually trucks and had a 3" drop made into the sideplates that I bought......it was rated 15k...I wanted it to use as a hitch, but mainly wanted the extra beef cuz I used it more for a connection point for puling people out of mud & ditches & such.

OI got it from a local trailer company, who at the time was 1 of the suppliers for J C Whitney mail order stuff. The sales person tried to steer me away due to the ratings, but also due to their info saying it wouldn't fit. I explained how I was gonna use it, why I wanted the extra strength, and that I was gonna buy it no matter what he told me, and if need be, I'd weld it on.

After I got it on without welding, I took it by their shop again, and showed him that I had to drill fewer holes to mount it than if I had actually put it ON the 350/3500 duallies it was designed for. He took some pics, and soon, it was listed as fitting a ramcharger, but noted it was rated more than the ramcharger was (the ramcharger was basically a 150 truck frame that was shortened a few feet).