How do you convert Clutch Fill Volume in Cubic Inches to CVI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMTC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I tried searching but didn't find what I'm looking for. The AlphaOBD analyzer reports Clutch Fill Volume in Inches cubed. Seems like all the specifications and ranges are listed as Clutch Volume Index (CVI). Is there a way to convert the Clutch Filll Volume Inches3 to CVI? For example on my 2016 Ram 3500 with the 68RFE Transmission I have a reading for my LR Clutch Fill Volume Inches3 of 1.45. How do I convert that to Clutch Volume Index? Thanks

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you are talking 1.45 cubic inches to:
CC's, will be 23.76 cc's
oz's will be 0.8 oz
tblspn will be 1.60

Use a little PC based program called "convert".

Last edited:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Convert is a handy tool that also allows you to create your own conversions.

OP
OP
RAMTC

RAMTC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Boss Hogg, Thanks for your post. I’m still trying to get my head around “Clutch Volume Index CVI”. But I don’t think it’s a simple volume conversion. I read on the RevMax website “Clutch Volume Index (CVI) is a calculated numerical value to indicate how much volume of transmission fluid was needed to apply a friction element without stroking the accumulator piston.”. My AlphaOBD analyzer reports clutch volume in cubic inches. I used a friend’s analyzer and it displayed CVI and the values between the two analyzers are different. I’m hoping there is a way to convert the cubic inch value to the index value.
Thanks

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have never heard of this before but it got the brain working this morning. Did some reading. Not sure if this helps but here it is: Given that 64CVI equals 1in³ transmission fluid, 1.45in³ would equal 92.8 CVI
It's early so go easy on me if I messed that up haha.

Rather than do the math just use an online scale calculator like this:

1697294766565.png

Last edited:

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Boss Hogg, Thanks for your post. I’m still trying to get my head around “Clutch Volume Index CVI”. But I don’t think it’s a simple volume conversion. I read on the RevMax website “Clutch Volume Index (CVI) is a calculated numerical value to indicate how much volume of transmission fluid was needed to apply a friction element without stroking the accumulator piston.”. My AlphaOBD analyzer reports clutch volume in cubic inches. I used a friend’s analyzer and it displayed CVI and the values between the two analyzers are different. I’m hoping there is a way to convert the cubic inch value to the index value.
Thanks
CVI is a time-based algorithmic calculation. In other words, the stroke of a piston to apply a clutch is calculated and converted into a volume-value so the transmission control module can determine if there is slipping between gears.

OP
OP
RAMTC

RAMTC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
AlphaOBD has two designations. One is called Clutch Fill Volume inches cubed, the "Instantaneous Volume Inches3". The Instantaneous Volume Inches3 is a dynamic reading, the Clutch Fill Volume Inches3 is a static number. Seems the Instantaneous Volume Inches3 can be correlated to CVI but I'm not sure. One of my readings for LR Instantaneous Volume Inches3 is 1.72. If I multiply 1.72 by 64 I get 110.6 which is in range based on the link G-Ride999 provided (45-134). I'm just trying to establish if the AlphOBD readings can be used to get an understanding of condition of my transmission.