How do you know if you bought NGK rip off plugs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

azmusclecar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently purchased a 2014 Ram 5.7 with 159K miles on it. I was given a folder full of maintenance records
but I cannot find any plug change at all. The truck is running well. But I am trying to get the truck up to my standards of maintenance.

I ordered NGK Iridium IX spark plugs and I read NGK's specs that say the plugs come pre-gapped at .43 or .44

I used a feeler gauge set at .43 and the gaps on just two of the plugs were over .50.

I quit there and returned the plugs to Amazon........were they ripoffs? How can one tell?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I recently purchased a 2014 Ram 5.7 with 159K miles on it. I was given a folder full of maintenance records
but I cannot find any plug change at all. The truck is running well. But I am trying to get the truck up to my standards of maintenance.

I ordered NGK Iridium IX spark plugs and I read NGK's specs that say the plugs come pre-gapped at .43 or .44

I used a feeler gauge set at .43 and the gaps on just two of the plugs were over .50.

I quit there and returned the plugs to Amazon........were they ripoffs? How can one tell?
If you bought them on Amazon,good chance they're fake NGK's. Google fake NGKs,and you'll find lots of video's on the differances

OP
OP
azmusclecar

azmusclecar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Gary Fields

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've bought NGK for years for cars and Waverunners. The usually come gapped at the factory. Sometimes they are not correct for your application but they are all the same. Other brands I have bought are gapped all different.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I've bought NGK for years for cars and Waverunners. The usually come gapped at the factory. Sometimes they are not correct for your application but they are all the same. Other brands I have bought are gapped all different.
Nothing wrong with reputable NGK plugs,but Amazon and Ebay are flooded with fake NGKs,and lots of guys get sucked into them as they're cheap,and don't realize they bought fake knock-offs,till something goes wrong with the plugs

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
And for a while several years ago even the box stores like Autozone, Advance, were selling fake NGK's. RockAuto was also guilty of it. From what I remember they weren't doing on purpose, it was their supplier. Most of that has cleared up on the retail side of things, but I still wouldn't buy them from Amazon or Ebay. NAPA was good at not selling the fakes.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

FYI I priced shopped plugs and found the cheapest price on A1auto or something, but I wanted to do the job right away because of my schedule. I've been called the 800 number for advance Auto parts and they price match and I had them 30 minutes later for the same price as online with no arguing or any difficulty whatsoever from the 800 service agent.