Idle hunting when A/C is on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pjc87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2011 1500 outdoorsman with the hemi, this last Monday my alternator decided to go out right before we were set to leave town for vacation with my in law’s.
So I called around and no one had a brand new alternator, only Re-man’s.
So I went with one from autozone since it was the best price to get the truck going for the vacation.
I noticed right away the voltage varies a lot on this Re-man alternator.
Goes from 13.5 to 14.5, but the main thing I’ve noticed is now when I have the A/C on the idle rpm’s are fluctuating bad, and it never did that prior to changing the alternator.
So naturally I’m thinking this alternator can’t keep up with the demand from the a/c like the factory one did.
The factory alternator also ran at 14.2 volts rock steady no matter what.
I can see these numbers because of the Diablo tuner, I took a short video of the gauges on the Diablo tuner in case anyone wants to monitor that and see what it’s doing.
When the idle rpm drops the timing drops as well? I never experienced this prior to this Re-man alternator.
I took the truck to a local parts store where I’m on vacation and had them load test it, they claimed it passed, but they didn’t have me rev the engine like other times I’ve had load tests done, and their load tester looked pretty outdated.
So as of now I’m still thinking it’s this alternator because that’s the only thing that was changed when this issues arised.
I’m considering ordering a brand new alternator and returning this Re-man.
I was just wondering if anyone here has encountered this issue before?
Thanks

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2011 1500 outdoorsman with the hemi, this last Monday my alternator decided to go out right before we were set to leave town for vacation with my in law’s.
So I went with one from autozone since it was the best price to get the truck going for the vacation.
Goes from 13.5 to 14.5, but the main thing I’ve noticed is now when I have the A/C on the idle rpm’s are fluctuating bad, and it never did that prior to changing the alternator.
So naturally I’m thinking this alternator can’t keep up with the demand from the a/c like the factory one did.
I can see these numbers because of the Diablo tuner, I took a short video of the gauges on the Diablo tuner in case anyone wants to monitor that and see what it’s doing.
When the idle rpm drops the timing drops as well? I never experienced this prior to this Re-man alternator.
I took the truck to a local parts store where I’m on vacation and had them load test it, they claimed it passed, but they didn’t have me rev the engine like other times I’ve had load tests done, and their load tester looked pretty outdated.
So as of now I’m still thinking it’s this alternator because that’s the only thing that was changed when this issues arised.
Thanks
I put an AZ alternator on my old 1988 Lincoln Town Car in about 2001. Next day (weather was cold) I went out and started the car to warm it up.... went back into the toasty house and poured myself another cup of joe. I was conversing with my wife, and glanced out the kitchen window through which I kept an eye out.... and there was thick smoke billowing out from under the hood. Adrenaline kicked in, I ran out, shut the car off.... smoke continued. I popped the hood and the AZ alternator was ablaze! I thought quick and disconnected the battery and the flames died down, and I fanned the smoke away.... and there sat one blackened Alternator. I had to replace it again (different brand) and replace the wiring to the alternator as well.

A few months later, there was a class action filed against AZ for that very problem. It seemed as though some weren't a lucky as I was to keep their cars, in that they burned to the ground.

As a professional, and having MANY unwarranted issues with this particular brand of auto parts, I've never darkened their door step since.

In MY neck of the woods, I've observed the highest quality reman alternators from Advanced auto parts where they sell the Car Quest brand. The best starters are made by Pure Energy, and those are the ones I go to, especially where the starter is extremely difficult to gain access. (Toyota V-8 where the intake must be removed to get to the starter is a good example)

DaveSharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks
Yes I have and if you have dirty power it can cause all sorts of issues with your controllers. Get a tech who can use a scope, check your battery as well and then take an alternator charging pattern and he'll tell you straight away what to do with it. Most probably the engine controller can't manage the idle because it can't manage the alternator because it's defective. It's doing the best it can to keep it under control. In your state or province go on the internet and look up iATN tech in your area. Make sure they been around for a bit...and ask them if they own a scope.