Is it worth to buy a 2011 Ram 2500 with transmission issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fnord

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4
Hi everyone,

I'm researching to buy a 2011 Ram 2500, Hemi 5.7, and there are some issues with it.

Sometimes it decides to tell you it's out of gas when it's not... the seller told me it needs a new fuel sender, and the transmission lags slightly when shifted from Park to Drive or Reverse, needs attention.

I wonder if someone have an idea what I need to replace to fix both issues so I can know how much money I need to throw in it to decide if it is worth or not to buy.

Thank you guys and girls for all information,

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The fuel problem could also be a bad ground somewhere, among other possibilities, which could end up harder to find and fix. The transmission, could be anything from low oil level to complete rebuild. Your best bet is take to a mechanic and get a full report on what is wrong, and needed. Then you can figure out the value of the truck to you. Good luck.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I would think case. Then make the offer

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Issues are useful for negotiation. I’d assume worst case and price the truck expecting to pay for a shop to replace the transmission in the first year I owned it and fix the gauge. If you can buy it at that price there’s not much downside and plenty of upside if it’s more modest repairs.

Otherwise I’d walk away and look elsewhere. Issues are a powerful lever on most sellers. They already believe or fear it’s worst case. That’s the reason they’ve decided to sell it. You’re just confirming what’s already in their head.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Slow engagement into drive or reverse is usually one of the first indicator of a trans on the way out.You could be into $3 k for a good trans.

OP
OP
Fnord

Fnord

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4
Thank you everyone for all your input. I'll negotiate with the premise that I need to replace the trans.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Delayed engagement is very common with the 545rfe. Converter drain back is the standard culprit and really nothing to be concerned with. Let it prime in neutral for a moment for setting off, swap to new OE filters.

Do prepare for worse though, you don't know how it was treated.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Delayed engagement is very common with the 545rfe. Converter drain back is the standard culprit and really nothing to be concerned with. Let it prime in neutral for a moment for setting off, swap to new OE filters.

Do prepare for worse though, you don't know how it was treated.

If there’s no CELs that’s exactly what it is.

If you have a bad pump, which will 100% cause extremely delayed engagement, you’ll have a horrific whine and codes in the TCM saying there’s no pressure to use to shift into gear.

Converter drainback is a strange thing, it really depends on the quality of filters you use. Use OEM Mopar filters and it won’t happen as bad, use cheap 10$ filter sets from Oreillys and you’ll have nothing BUT issues. I’d also recommend OP to check the fluid when it’s running, doesn’t matter what temp, to make sure the fluid isn’t bubbly which would be indicative of either a busted flat sump filter (pic below) or a canister filter that unscrewed itself because whoever put it on last didnt tighten it down enough.

98222ba88ac3ea58cb3f2fe05f0b50ad.jpg

If you take the pan off to do a filter change, use only OEM mopar parts, so you won’t have to do it again after a premature failure. They’re a tad more expensive yes, but pick your battles. Would you rather spend 20$ on a full filter set with crappy quality and 80$ on fluid, and then have to spend the same a month later, or spend 60$ on a full filter set and 80$ on fluid and not have to do it again for 5 years.

Also, thanks to @Burla for letting me know about this, i’d recommend a metal thread adapter for the canister filter. The stock one is plastic (stupid design) and tends to break with over-tightening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk