Kicker upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

liljohn30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
So I install the kicker upgrade in my rear doors I haven’t done the front and the dash yet I’m amazed at the lack of base at all from the 6 x 9‘s and when I turn the radio up I get a popping out of them especially on heavier bass songs. I would think that they’re out of phase but I purchased the wiring pieces to clip into the factory wiring... anyone ever run into this issue I wonder if my wiring harness is that I purchased from Crutchfield or wrong

Mleads310

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you give a little more info. What year truck, What radio do you have? Base or premium system?

Also the rear doors depending what system you have, are more of a full range(if you want to call it that) signal. Most of your bass will be coming from the front door 6x9s. Also the popping is very strange and I wouldn't try to replicate that until you figure out what caused it. It never hurts to double check polarity, possible wiring diagram etc. Usually the wiring harness for the dash 3.5" speakers are reversed for some reason, but that doesn't mean that at some point someone accidentally reversed the stock wiring for the other speakers in your truck.

OP
OP
liljohn30

liljohn30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
2018 power wagon
8.4 base system no amp 6 speakers

OP
OP
liljohn30

liljohn30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
It’s all factory,speakers nothing was done to anything until I put in the rear door speakers

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
which speakers, the OEM upgrade 6x9s?

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I lost bass when i upgraded the fronts.
I had a cheaper head unit. I figure the upgrade was for the nicer alpine stereo

Either way i added a rear sub and now im happy.

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Popping sounds are usually the speaker bottoming out the voice coil, hitting the pole piece of the magnet. Where are your tone controls set?

Just so everyone knows, a real upgrade will require speakers much better than stock, and those Kickers may not qualify as that, especially with just the stock headunit, amplifiers, a subwoofer/subwoofers, and some method of tuning it all (DSP).

Speakers out of phase is real obvious. Almost no bass unless the balance is turned to one side or the other, and that wouldn't make noise typically.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Those Kicker will do plenty even on a stock radio, our #1 selling lineup period. Something was astray, we see way too many speaker up to amp upgrades with CSC and CSS.

OP
OP
liljohn30

liljohn30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Popping sounds are usually the speaker bottoming out the voice coil, hitting the pole piece of the magnet. Where are your tone controls set?

Just so everyone knows, a real upgrade will require speakers much better than stock, and those Kickers may not qualify as that, especially with just the stock headunit, amplifiers, a subwoofer/subwoofers, and some method of tuning it all (DSP).

Speakers out of phase is real obvious. Almost no bass unless the balance is turned to one side or the other, and that wouldn't make noise typically.
Most tone controls are down bass is -7

OP
OP
liljohn30

liljohn30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Those Kicker will do plenty even on a stock radio, our #1 selling lineup period. Something was astray, we see way too many speaker up to amp upgrades with CSC and CSS.
I would think something did go astray I’m sure that the polarity is messed up maybe the harness I got the positive and negative or screwed up I don’t know they came with the factory connectors for the speakers so I just put them on the appropriate terminals one more small one was big I wish I had a wiring diagram for my power wagon 2018 that told me which speaker wire was positive and which was negative

OP
OP
liljohn30

liljohn30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
which speakers, the OEM upgrade 6x9s?
Yes kicker cs Orem upgrades and they r 4 ohm just like the factory ones ..I would love to get them to work that way I don’t have to fool with a stereo in it I don’t want to but it looks like I’m going to have to eventually

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought the kicker speakers front and rear plus the tweeters from Mopar. They were plug and play and no connector adapter was needed. I have the 16 8.4 RA4 radio so not the UAS/UAQ style radio in your truck but I'm very happy with them. I was actually surprised how good they sound. Granted it's not a high end system and I get that but it goes plenty loud and sounds plenty good for me. There are no issues with the base either for what they are. The back speakers actually vibrate my rear doors. I haven gotten around to pulling my door panes and putting in some sound deadener yet.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
liljohn30

liljohn30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have the unconnected nav 4c 8.4 touch screen according to the build sheet

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the unconnected nav 4c 8.4 touch screen according to the build sheet
Yes the Nav 4c is the UAQ version of the 18 radio and the UAS is the non Nav version. Just a different way of saying the same thing.

OP
OP
liljohn30

liljohn30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I’m gonna pull the panels again re check it all

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually put a 4c UAQ in my truck for a while but pulled it out and put my RA4 back in. I already had the Kicker speakers when I tried it and it worked fine but the RA4 radios have better sound. Like I said I bought my Kickers from Mopar so the connectors were plug and play. I'm not exactly sure what's going on with your truck but most people are happy with the Kicker speakers with the stock radio. There were some firmware versions for the 4c UAQ radios that had problems with the sound quality. I'm not sure what version that was because I don't keep up on those radios as much as I do the 13 to 17 radios. If your radio sounded OK before you upgraded the speakers the Firmware would most likely not be your issue.

OP
OP
liljohn30

liljohn30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Ok well I used old 12v car battery to check polarity LOL ..work great by way..My factory speakers have a blue dot on the back of them that is a positive side when I hold my factory speakers up to the harnesses that I got from Crutchfield it looks like the wires are reversed white would be negative black would be positive I won’t know 100% till I put it in the car but they only clicking to the harnesses one way so my polarity screwed up on the rear speakers which is an easy fix

OP
OP
liljohn30

liljohn30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Just an update I remedy the problem with the rear speakers the adapters that I got from Crutchfield had the polarity wrong anybody that installs the speaker should always just double check what I did was unpin the wire from the harness that Crutchfield gave me and just rotated the wires speakers play fine now and they don’t bottom out or pop....