Kooks long tube install.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Racc_506

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Good day sorry in advance for the absolute mess of this post but I have a 2004 dodge ram 5.7 hemi slt/laramie 4x4 and I’ve been installing the kooks long tube headers the past few days. And have learned a few things by installing them.

You will receive 16 bolts not the 17 required contact them they should send some extra hardware. You will not need to modify the bellhousing at all but you will need to trim the tabs on the rear alignment bolt passenger side. You will also need to jack up the passenger side to slide the long tubes in from the bottom.

Driver side you need to remove the front drive shaft and the steering shaft. it helps to have 13mm ratchet and regular wrench for tightening the bolts I also recommend using high heat copper anti seize on the threads. You will need to remove the starter and loop the wires underneath the mount by the oil pan.

I just got into a problem with the shift linkage for the transmission but it doesn’t look to be routed or to begin with and will edit once these puppies are fully in. I definitely recommend taking your time and tapping the holes on the cylinder head once the OEM manifolds are fully off.

Be prepared for broken studs you will need washers, nuts and a welder. If you have a transmission cooler the long tubes may touch the one line but my truck isn’t fully together as I did an engine swap so I’ll have to update the post later on with notes.

So far it’s been a hassle with the truck in general but definitely worth it. I’ll upload photos at a later date and plan on helping out anyone else that want to install the kooks long tube kit. In the kit you get new Cats, y pipe, the long tubes, the hardware and gaskets, and several exhaust clamps for around $4500 and I mean it may seem like a lot of money to drop but that’s with taxes and border fees through Tdot preformance so you get free shipping.

Also if anyone has any pictures of the original routing of the shift cable that would be very helpful as it’s not supposed to interfere at all.

gtomike60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Is that $4500 Canadian?...or US?

What part of New Brunswick are you in?
I grew up just outside of Moncton

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members