Leveling my '14 Express Crewcab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MYMISSIONISFISHIN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Have been contemplating leveling my truck for some time. Have never done it to any of my other vehicles. Have heard pros and cons about doing it, concerning popping the upper ball joints (?). Its not anything I have to do, just saw a friends Silverado last summer that was leveled and it did look nice. He used the spacers on his. What are the risks and etc of doing it, if I use the 5100 Bilsteins? I have heard I would need to do a front end alignment after installing the bilsteins. I don't know enough about this mod, to just pull the trigger and do it. Don't want to have premature wearing of my tires as they can get expensive. Does the ride change at all? I have P265X70RX17 for tires. Not looking to go any bigger tho have thought about it, but was told, bigger tires will affect the ECO and ect. But not going to bigger tires anyways.

jshillin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just installed Bilsteins on mine last Monday and got an alignment on Friday. If you do level it, make sure to get an alignment, as long as you do that you won't have any issues with tire wear. Not really any risks in going with the Bilsteis, but I went with the 1.4" setting for a mild level to leave some rake. Not sure if you'd have any trouble if you jumped to the 2.8 setting, but a lot of guys on here do it. As for ride quality, it actually rides BETTER now. I put BFG KO2's on a week before the Bilsteins and they made the ride a bit more rough, but the Bilsteins smoothed it back out. I have no regrets with the upgrade. Hopefully that helps answer your questions...

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
same here. I went 2.8 though, alignment, and no new tires or upper control arms. I'm going to add rear coil spacers just to put a tiny amount of rake back in. I sit 1/2 nose high.

ride is substantially better than stock. It more planted, and predicatable. The stock shocks are crap, and I bounced around a lot more than I do on the bilsteins.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I also leveled my 16 Sports CC using the Bilsteins and I set them at 2.1. I went ahead and replaced the UCA just for my own piece of mind. Using the Bilsteins you don't have to upgrade the UCA's just some people do out of an abundance of caution. The new UCA are more heavy duty than the OEM parts and helps prevent the ball joints from "popping" out. I think the truck rides better with the Bilsteins. I did install Bilsteins in the rear also. As others have said, you need to have your truck aligned when you install the Bilsteins.
Jay

OP
OP
MYMISSIONISFISHIN

MYMISSIONISFISHIN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Is the average price on a pair of the Bilstein 5100, around $200? Is this the correct P/N for the fronts, 24-187367?

OP
OP
MYMISSIONISFISHIN

MYMISSIONISFISHIN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Do I have to or should I also get the Bilsteins for the rear? Is the 2.1 setting a pretty good setting to level it?

OP
OP
MYMISSIONISFISHIN

MYMISSIONISFISHIN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ok, heres another question. Just talked to a reputable shop locally that does all kinds of lifts, etc and he recommends using the Pro comp Nitro 2.5" "Level Lift Strut Spacers", rather than Bilstein 5100 Adjustable shocks. His words were, "You won't raise the front using shocks". I have read that spacers are not the way to level the front. Now who do I believe? I can get the Bilsteins installed and front end alignment, for around $400 (I buy the Bilsteins myself.) or this shop will do the Pro Comp Spacers for $499 and then I have to do the front end alignment (Another $80).

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do I have to or should I also get the Bilsteins for the rear? Is the 2.1 setting a pretty good setting to level it?

No you don't have to get rears. If you want to then go for it. I didn't I went 2.8 and was a tad nose high. So I added a 1.5 spacer to the rear to get a small rake again. Both were easy to do.

Price on mine was 200. I found the cheapest and then just had 4wheel parts match it because they have a local shop and will price match most anything and get it faster.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
I installed the Bils myself, and will do the rear spacers myself. The hardest part of the bils was getting the spring off. the top center nut was rusted on. Then it takes quite a bit to put the spring back on because you're compressing the spring quite a bit. Not hard, just time consuming. You could also take the parts to a shop and have them disassemble/reassemble the shocks/springs if you have a spare vehicle to drive around. Alignment for me was $90.

OP
OP
MYMISSIONISFISHIN

MYMISSIONISFISHIN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I am going to have a local shop install the 5100 Adjustable struts on my truck. They also do front end alignments. Is the next highest setting the 2.1" setting? That's the setting I am going with. I can buy the Bilsteins for around $100 each, and was told it would be less than $200 to install them and do the alignment. So, for around $400, my truck will have the Bilsteins installed and a front end alignment. I watch a few You Tube videos on why the Bilstein 5100 is a better way to level my truck compared to the spacers. I am going with the Bilsteins. Probably won't be done until summer though. Getting the Remote starter installed and my front off road lights wired up this coming weekend.

tma777

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quite a few folks are running 2.1 and it looks good. Post pics when you get it done.

Express SN95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, heres another question. Just talked to a reputable shop locally that does all kinds of lifts, etc and he recommends using the Pro comp Nitro 2.5" "Level Lift Strut Spacers", rather than Bilstein 5100 Adjustable shocks. His words were, "You won't raise the front using shocks". I have read that spacers are not the way to level the front. Now who do I believe? I can get the Bilsteins installed and front end alignment, for around $400 (I buy the Bilsteins myself.) or this shop will do the Pro Comp Spacers for $499 and then I have to do the front end alignment (Another $80).
My advice is not to use a shop that is not familiar with Bilsteins to install them. Clearly hes not correct and after what he said I wouldnt use them IMO. Also whatever shop you do use make sure they place the washer in the correct place. There are a ton of threads on this in addition to after pictures of the trucks with Bilsteins if you search this site and google. Btw the settings are stock, 0.7, 1.4, 2.1, and 2.8 inches of lift.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Nandark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To Jim Corson..I have P265X70RX17 for tires. Not looking to go any bigger tho have thought about it, but was told, bigger tires will affect the ECO and ect. But not going to bigger tires anyways.

My 2017 Ram Sport came with 285/70R17 Toyo Open Country AT tires and my mileage isn't that bad. In fact after raising my front with 5100's at 2.8 I actually got better mpg than with stock front on a recent 600 mile trip!

And with a level your 265's might look too small for your truck.

Use this link to compare tire sizes
https://tiresize.com/calculator

OP
OP
MYMISSIONISFISHIN

MYMISSIONISFISHIN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The shop that's doing the Bilsteins (If I get it done) is not the shop that told me I won't lift my truck, by using shocks, only if I use a spacer. Now, I wonder if it will look dumb if I raise it and keep the same tire size. Will say for instance, the 285X65X17 mess up my ECO or the speedometer readings?

yortnodnarb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any diameter larger than stock is going to be heavier thus decreasing your MPG and making the truck travel faster than what the speedo says. A 33" tire doesn't look bad if you're going 2.1 on the level, but if you go 2.8 I think a 34" tire looks about perfect.

Nandark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The 285/70R17 tires on my 2017 Ram Sport came off of a Ram Rebel which sticker shows the same MPG as stock Ram's with 20" tires.

Your speedometer will be off a little with a bigger tire but not as much as i thought. The tire comparison link i sent you shows you the speed difference when you compare your tire size to bigger tires.

But if you're worried about losing mpg you might as well stay with stock height and tires.

Stock Rams look great too!

Lifted looks meaner and better in my opinion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357