Locker issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oilercat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I need new actuators for front and rear lockers and price from dealer was pretty high. I have never used lockers and probably never will. It’s not the best time for me to be spending the money on them. 4 wheel drive does engage in high and low. Just wonder if I put it off the repair for a while will it cause problems.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Out of curiosity, who diagnosed it needing new actuators?

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What are your issues with the lockers? It is kinda odd to need both of them. These lockers are a pain to lock in at times and sometimes just need cleaned. Not saying they can’t go bad but strange to have both go out at the same time. But I don’t believe you will have an issue not fixing them right away if they do need replaced

Last edited:

RAZ175

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L
Check to see if your sway bar disconnects. If not, it's most likely an issue with the Final Drive Control Module (FDCM) on the front sway bar. It controls the sway bar disconnect and both the lockers. Pull the connector off and see if there is corrosion in the connector. Sometimes you can clean and reconnect and get everything working again. I wouldn't trust the mechanics that told you that you need both locker actuators. Very few know how to troubleshoot the system on a Power Wagon. You won't have any issues with normal 4wd, but the lockers and sway bar disconnect won't work. If you want to have these work all the time, there's a gent on Power Wagon Registry that does by pass cables for the lockers and the sway bar. It bypasses all the interlocks that go through the FDCM.

Final Drive Control Module (FDCM) .jpeg

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Curious to know the details of why you need new actuators. If you never use the lockers how did you know there was an issue with them? Just make sure you understand how they work and what conditions are needed to have them lock. On older years you have to be in 4 low for them to lock at all, and they can take a little bit for them to lock. If you are just sitting still they will often not lock in at all. In any case, it's not like you can sit there and flip the switch back and forth and they instantly turn on and off.
If the actuators are not working, the only issue is that the lockers will not engage. It's not going to hurt anything.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Abel concepts locker bypass I have one on my 15pw It allows you to use the locker in 2hi and 4hi but it does put up a code on the blue driver but it doesn’t affect the operating of anything and no code on the bash

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
The ones on my '18 were really finicky. Almost never worked