Loud ticking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LeeCan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My 2019 Dodge Ram makes a loud ticking noise. Sounds like a diesel engine. While idling it sounds normal, if i drive 20 MPH it will start making a loud ticking noise until I stop. Active codes 172 and 175. Do you have any ideas what could cause this?

Last edited:

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No tick at all at idle?

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is it coming from the engine or suspension? Can you post sound or video?

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you post a video it should help and the experts will give their opinions.

Trensky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I'm having the same problem. Just started at 104,000kms. Only happens when driving when I'm coasting. When I accelerate it goes away. Starting to happen more frequently now.

Trensky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
It almost sounds like when you put a card in the spokes of your bicycle when you were a kid.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm having the same problem. Just started at 104,000kms. Only happens when driving when I'm coasting. When I accelerate it goes away. Starting to happen more frequently now.
Either exhaust leak or cam/lifter failure. Exhaust leak you can move your hand around in the engine bay near the exhaust manifolds to feel the leak. If you can't find it, then likely the cam. Get your wallet ready.

dk1958

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check your front axle u-joints. Mine wore out the thrust bearing / washer in the end of the U-Joint caps, which let the U-Joint move and made noise at slow speed. Don`t wait till they break.

NateTordsen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It almost sounds like when you put a card in the spokes of your bicycle when you were a kid.
I have the same issue with my 2019 ram. Had both manifolds replaced then started to hear the noise. Only does is at low rpm around 1100-1200. If I give it some throttle the noise will go away. If I drop below 15mph it will go away. Took it back to the shop that replaced the manifolds and they couldn’t figure out what it was. Any luck on what the fix is?