Maybe to big ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tod j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello new to group here. Looking for some advice or input if I may.Have had many rams In past all being 2500 with 4:10 rears and 5.7 and had a 32 ft fifth wheel that was around 10500 seemed to tow like a rock? Picked up a new 17 last year with 6.4 and 3.73 I believe seems to have quite a bit more power. Had sold camper couple years ago looking into new one dry weight is 11400 with tounge load of 2400.Already installed timbres what's your thoughts ?? Thanks in advance

OP
OP
T

Tod j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also trailer is a tri-axle toy hauler just thinking may be little more than going to want to haul comfortably is all? Really havent towed anything yet with this truck with compare able weight ?

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Too big. The 6.4 with 3.73 are rated 12-13k depending on model. The toy hauler is 11400 lbs dry so unless you limit the toys to Legos you're probably going to be 2000+ lbs over the rating. Pin weight is going to push the limits too. It will move but won't be happy on grades etc.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
A triple axle toy hauler is DRW territory any way you slice it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree op needs a dually. Simple enough

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 Off Road. 6.4L. USMC (ret)

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yep, that's too much trailer for that truck. It's gas and has the non-towing friendly gearing. You'd undoubtedly be well over payload and likely over your RAWR with even a minor amount of stuff in the truck or trailer.

For comparison, I have a 9K dry 5th with that truck and it's about all I'd ever want to pull.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Yep, that's too much trailer for that truck. It's gas and has the non-towing friendly gearing. You'd undoubtedly be well over payload and likely over your RAWR with even a minor amount of stuff in the truck or trailer.

For comparison, I have a 9K dry 5th with that truck and it's about all I'd ever want to pull.

Agree 100%. Tail wagging the dog scenario. I have the same truck as you OP and pull a 6k TT with it.

Just came back from a camping trip last week to knoebels in elysburg, pa. There are some big grades going there. Coming up out of lavelle is a 12% grade without much chance to get a runnie at it. I know i was down into 4th or 3rd on that one and 4k plus rpm. This was loaded with wife and boys in the truck, bed loaded with camp fire wood, bikes, chairs, gear, extra water and soda, etc it was heavy.

Once up into those rpms...(sounded great up there by the way) she pulled like a freight train on nitrous...i had to back out of it on the grade becsuse i was catching people! With that said i don't think I'd want much more than 2-3k more loaded trailer weight with my truck, but that's Just me. I like a lot of extra margin.

The 6.4 has A LOT of juice, but like any orher tow rig it has limitations. Once your North of 10k in my opinion your in diesel truck territory. At 11400 dry you'll likely be pushing 13k loaded and that's too much, even for the mighty 6.4.

In my opinion as stated your in drw, cummins territory with that rig. Good luck.