momentary overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tobyh321

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Goodmorning,

I have a 2011 ram 2500, 194,000 egr deleted with an h&s mini maxx tuner. The tuner is set mild for all the tunes. i also have ARP 625 head studs. Just wanting to lay all that out there before I get to my problem. So I didn't drive my truck for a while, i have a gas burner i was daily driving and recently sold for wanting to get a second deisel. well I started driving the cummins again and it has time where the temp will momentarily shoot up to about 220-230, hang out at those temps for a few seconds and come back down. the programmer drops the truck back to the stock tune as well. I initially thought it could be a bad thermostat. swapped it no issues. hooked up to my fifth wheel made it 20 mins up the road and the truck shot up to 240 and stayed pulled off. the truck cooled after turning off. tried one more time to get going after letting it cool didn't make it 100 yards got hot. un-hooked the camper and got my buddy to grab it. I pulled the water pump all looks good. filled coolant back up. burped the system then noticed the lower radiator hose was collapsed. My mechanic that taught me said it was a clogged radiator, so i replaced it and the hoses. Well it did the momentary overheat again this morning. I am draining all mixed coolant this evening and going with straight uncut coolant. Any input will be much appreciated, trying to iron out all issues before I have to drag the camper 800 miles to ohio for work.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any chance it’s a bad temp sensor? Those are cheap enough to try before throwing more money at it

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be head gasket burping but I’m sure you’d see that. Maybe test the coolant for exhaust gas before you swap it out to see if it is the head gasket.

OP
OP
T

tobyh321

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Any chance it’s a bad temp sensor? Those are cheap enough to try before throwing more money at it
I was thinking that could be a possibility, especially after replacing the entire radiator when did the momentary overheat again

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Like said above check coolant for exhaust gas If clear change temp sensor IF it still doing that del tune and see what happens !
some times electronics do go bad it's not unheard of ! and it has al so been my experience that it takes a long time to get the air out of the system i have sometimes had to leave them sit for a night with rad cap off after running and burping the system and do it again the next day to make sure i got it out !
Just an idea to try with out throwing money at it !

OP
OP
T

tobyh321

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Could be head gasket burping but I’m sure you’d see that. Maybe test the coolant for exhaust gas before you swap it out to see if it is the head gasket.
the head gasket has less than 20,000 miles on it, i did the studs and reworked the head. you think it could be burping even being that new?

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Do not run 100% coolant, it will be worse, the water actually increases the thermal transfer thus lowering your temperature. Coolant, aka "anti-freeze" is primarily for it's anti-corrosive additives and increasing it's freeze point.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sounds like your “new” t-stat may be sticking .

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I am draining all mixed coolant this evening and going with straight uncut coolant.
If you didn't have issues before, running straight coolant can cause overheating issues. Coolant heat transfer goes down as the percentage goes up. If you live in an area that doesn't freeze, you can probably get away with running more water than coolant.

OP
OP
T

tobyh321

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Sounds like your “new” t-stat may be sticking .
that was my original assumption because of the way the temp went up momentarily and then immediately went back to normal.

OP
OP
T

tobyh321

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
If you didn't have issues before, running straight coolant can cause overheating issues. Coolant heat transfer goes down as the percentage goes up. If you live in an area that doesn't freeze, you can probably get away with running more water than coolant.
I live Louisiana, so I have never ran straight coolant in anything.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
why are you emphasizing "new" like that?
These days just because it's "new" doesn't mean it's any good. If possible i usually throw new thermostats in a pot of boiling water to check them before install. My wife bought herself a new meat thermostat,as she caught me using her meat thermostat to check thermostats a few years ago,lol

Vicman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've been waiting on a new Tstat for my 6.4 since early January. :oops:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member