My experiment.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roadhouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With my last Ram (2012 Big Horn) when the fob was in the ignition, it would not lock the doors. It just refused to do so. I decided to to try something with my 2016 Laramie... With the fob in the console, I shut it down down while sitting in the truck, closed the door and hit the lock button. It locked! With the fob inside the truck! So I'm asking, is there a way to get the truck to recognize NOT lock the doors when the fob is INSIDE the truck?

Octane

Reaction score
With my last Ram (2012 Big Horn) when the fob was in the ignition, it would not lock the doors. It just refused to do so. I decided to to try something with my 2016 Laramie... With the fob in the console, I shut it down down while sitting in the truck, closed the door and hit the lock button. It locked! With the fob inside the truck! So I'm asking, is there a way to get the truck to recognize NOT lock the doors when the fob is INSIDE the truck?
My key and go system would give you three tries,and beep the horn each time.After that it figures Im a dummy and will lock the doors.Now,my Ram doesnt have that,so it'll lock up if the fob is just laying in the seat.But not lock if in the ignition

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
My 16 sport will honk and flash the lights if I leave the keys in it, but it won’t lock.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
That’s not how you would accidentally lock your fob in the truck though. You wouldn’t have the door closed then pressed lock on the door switch. In order for that to happen you or someone else would have to still be in the truck.

If you open the door, leave the fob in the console and while the doors open try to lock the doors with the door switch it should honk and not let you lock the doors.

OP
OP
Roadhouse

Roadhouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck doesn't have an ignition hole in it. It's the push button start. I just walked over to it and set the fob on the console, rolled down the window and hit the lock button. Sure enough it locked.

OP
OP
Roadhouse

Roadhouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, I just repeated everything I just said above except this time I shut the door. It let me know with 3 horn honks and it unlocked. Thanks for helping me figure this out.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Ok, I just repeated everything I just said above except this time I shut the door. It let me know with 3 horn honks and it unlocked. Thanks for helping me figure this out.

Ya it won’t honk and unlock the doors until you close the door.

DURASPANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 17 won't let you lock key in cab, if you leave it in the bed it won't lock the doors with the button on handle but will lock them if you use door lock on arm rest. Now I gotta go get my other fob and unlock it. LoL