Need More Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mfifield01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I always run 89 while towing when available. I did run 88 once in Colorado. From what I've read, you should run the recommended octane even at altitude with a fuel injected engine. You should only go down with a carbed engine.

I get about 9.5 MPG on my long trips towing a 6000lb, 32' travel trailer. I typically lock out 7th and 8th and run in 6th gear. In hilly areas, it will downshift. The engine makes max torque at 4200 RPMs.

Bruce4060

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn, Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had to pull out the owners manual. I didn't know the HEMI needed 89 octane. I just assumed since my Pentastar is fine on regular, the HEMI would be.

5.7L Engine
This engines is designed to meet all
emissions regulations and provide satisfactory
fuel economy and performance
when using high quality unleaded
gasoline having a posted
octane number range of 87 to 89 as
specified by the (R+M)/2 method. The
use of 89 octane “Plus” gasoline is recommended for
optimum performance and fuel economy.
i learned something today.... :)

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Still running 87, have noticed difference between 87 or 89.

OP
OP
DemonSpeedingXIII

DemonSpeedingXIII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you everyone (mostly) for the advice, insight and solid information. Towed my #6500 27' trailer with 91 octane, stabilizer hitch and the rear suspension upgraded frame cushions https://www.etrailer.com/p-TDRTT1500.html#exp-productdetails=.all-description I am a lot more confidant in my Ram and it's capabilities now. Will wait till Spring to buy a newer Ram Sport :)

How do you like the Timbrens? Do you notice them hitting when you are unloaded (not towing)?

OP
OP
DemonSpeedingXIII

DemonSpeedingXIII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have not felt them bounce without a load. There is about 2 1/2" clearance from frame to Timbren. Under load I did feel the front end a lot better but there was more feedback from rough roads on the rear. I will trade control/handling and less sag for a rougher ride.