Need to find +12V when put in reverse!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIGBREW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just bought a back up camera. A replacement mirror. I need to find a source of +12V when the truck is put into reverse as close to the dash as possible. Anyone have any idea. This is to switch the mirror from regular mode to camera mode automatically when the truck is placed in reverse. Thanks Gents!

reelop19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tap into the reverse lights wiring. I hope I'm not being unhelpful because I don't know the wiring harness colors, but I'm sure you could find that out or at a minimum tap into the reverse lights in the fuse box.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought there was one in the radio harness.

I have a rearview mirror with two 4.3" monitors for my cameras. But my mirror doesn't need a reverse trigger. My mirror automatically turns on when it senses a video signal.

The mirror is constantly powered by 12v when the ignition switch is on. My rear camera is powered by the reverse lights, so I didn't even have to run a power wire to the back of the truck.

I use one of the two monitors for the backup cam and the other for a camera on the back of my camper. When I'm not using the camper, the 2nd monitor displays a front camera on a switch for tight parking.

Ray

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
There should be a switch on the transmission that lets the truck know it is in reverse.

OP
OP
B

BIGBREW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ocelot where did you get yours from?? I got mine from ebay. It has a red/black and green wire, sound familiar? I think I paid about 159 for it.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My mirror just has a red and black (power and ground) along with 4 RCA connectors which is two inputs for each of the two screens. The screen turns on when it senses a video signal.

I also got mine on eBay and had it shipped from China. It's working great after two years this May. This below link is the one I have, except I emailed the seller and asked them for one that had the mirror bracket as a replacement mirror instead of a clip on.

It's not the same seller, but it looks like the same mirror.

4 3 inch Dual Screen Car Rear View Mirror Monitor 4CH Video Inputs for DVD Cam | eBay

Ray