New 2023 5.7l hemi, 87 or 89 on first fill up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
BOIRD be the anomaly. I run 89, stay away from 87, ref timing pulling. BUT more important, INSURE U DO/GET timely oil changes using quality oil and filters, do not watch that friggin oil idiot reminder and wait till it Dings to tell U to change. Now many do various miles, I personally do every 5,000 and have TIRES rotated also. Also, since new truck, do not wait forever to do the first oil change, with all the internals wearing and setting in. All IMHO...
Buy the truck. If available, have the plastic coverings on the upholstery and floors. Drive the truck home and park it in the Garage. Get said truck out once every 3-4 months, drive it around the block, wash it.... put it away!

Then, will the truck to your favorite heir and they will inherit a very old vehicle with under 5000 miles on it! LOL! ;)

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
160k Ive always been on 87. Never any issues. I dont see any change the handful of times I have ran 89.

BigHossRides

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l v6
Dealer delivered with a full tank, not sure what they used. Manual says 87-89, but 89 recommended for "
optimum performance and fuel economy".
I know this discussion has been floating around for years, any definitive conclusions reached over time on 87 vs 89 for this engine's performance, efficiency and most important to me: engine life?
Any harm to engine life with 87, if I didn't care about max performance and efficiency?
Also, maybe a dumb question, but any reason I couldn't fill the tank with half 87 and 89, call it a compromise between cost and performance?
I ran 89 on my 5.7 and had better performance and better mpg, I got 22mpg on the interstate at 70 mph. Never had any issues with the engine,on my 2011 hemi.
Now on my 08 hemi I ran 87 and would get knocking once in awhile. It does matter that's why the manual says it is recommended. If you ever upgrade the plugs and coil packs then 91 oct works better.

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nothing less that 89 for me, sometimes I put pure gas in her and she loves it.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Since I’m clearly in the minority on this, and I’m the only one reporting that I get pinging with anything less than 93 octane on inclines, does anyone have any ideas as to what the issue may be with my truck? It’s done this since Day 1.

Pinging is generally a timing thing, but there’s no way to manipulate that on these trucks (short of 3rd party tuners) and that would likely just be a bandaid that doesn’t address the root cause. I have no error codes. Has anyone ever heard of improperly gapped or defective plugs causing pinging? The plugs are original and I have 60K on the truck.

Just not sure where to start trying to figure this out.
If you reduce the spark plug cap the coil energy will jump the gap sooner compared to a increased gap. This technically advances the timing. The question is how much and would it be enough to cause pinging?

Regardless, what I don't understand in your case is why the computer isn't realizing this knock and cutting back the timing. There are three possible scenarios: either the PCM computer isn't getting any input from the knock sensors, the computer has reached its max range in cutting back some timing, or the PCM is not cutting back timing due to an internal defect or an incorrect value in NVM.

How well does your truck pass the emissions tests, assuming your state inspection has one?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 95912 miles.

Zac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L ETorque
My manual states:"Fuel Selection - 87 Octane..."
I used to use 91 ethanol free from Costco but they stopped carrying it. Closest ethanol free is 88. Cost diffrence between ethanol 87 and non ethanol 88 in my State is minor.

Zac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L ETorque
Since I’m clearly in the minority on this, and I’m the only one reporting that I get pinging with anything less than 93 octane on inclines, does anyone have any ideas as to what the issue may be with my truck? It’s done this since Day 1.

Pinging is generally a timing thing, but there’s no way to manipulate that on these trucks (short of 3rd party tuners) and that would likely just be a bandaid that doesn’t address the root cause. I have no error codes. Has anyone ever heard of improperly gapped or defective plugs causing pinging? The plugs are original and I have 60K on the truck.

Just not sure where to start trying to figure this out.
My old Ford 460 CID used to ping real bad going on a incline with low octane. I live in 5000 feet elevation. Increase octane problem solved. Sorry not much help. Nature of the beast.