New RAM Owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sc2sick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum
I picked up a 1995 RAM 1500 for my brother late last week.

V8, Auto trans, ~161k miles. The hood wouldn't open and the owner took $350 for it so I figured I would take a gamble.

I snapped the grill off and unbolted the latch to find that the cable had snapped and the latch mechanism was also rusted and seized.

I ordered up a new cable and lower latching mechanism that should be here before the week is out. Other than a weak, older battery, it starts and drives fairly well.

It has a bit of front end looseness.. Some of which is likely attributed to age of rubber bushings.. but also there is a fair amount of rust around the swaybar mounting points up front. My plan is to cut some sheet metal and box that in to reinforce it, but if there exists a precut kit for such a task I would certainly consider buying that as I usually find molten metal on the tops of my shoes when I'm cutting something in a hurry on the plasma cutter. I also have to weld some sheet metal over some holes in the bed as there are spots over the rear wheel well that have rusted through. I'd consider buying a new bed but this truck isn't for me and I doubt I'll be seeing much of my money back, much less repayment for labor time.. It's just basically a large favor I'm doing him to get this resembling roadworthy.

Aside from those is there a link to a sticky of common things to check for when buying these used? Common leaks, sensors which fail that I should just get done before he drives it into the ground prematurely, etc.. I wish it was OBD2 so I could just hook my scanner in and check functionality of all sensors..

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

You'll find that the track bar links up front can be pretty weak with that generation truck. You might want to look at those as well.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Aside from those is there a link to a sticky of common things to check for when buying these used? Common leaks, sensors which fail that I should just get done before he drives it into the ground prematurely, etc.. I wish it was OBD2 so I could just hook my scanner in and check functionality of all sensors..

Some major things to check on: Transmission, Intake plenum gasket.
Some minor things to check on: Throttle body sensors, crank and cam sensors, abs sensors, track bars, front end components.

As far as code reading goes, obd1 trucks have onboard diagnostics. You can do the "key dance" and the check engine light will flash a certain number of times. The number of flashes coincide with the DTC. Here's a link for further information.
PCM Fault Code :cheers: