No Aero Mode While Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sly Dvl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So here's something I noticed while towing on the weekend. 2013 Ram Sport with 4 corner Air Suspension. If I'm in Tow/Haul mode the truck will not go into Aero mode on the highway. Turn off T/H and within 30 seconds it's in Aero, but turn T/H back on and it's back to normal ride height.

The truck is obviously programmed to operate like this, I'm just trying to think why the Engineers would eliminate Aero mode while in T/H mode. Thoughts?

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
My thoughts would be that the psi in the air bags at aero mode wouldn't be sufficient for handling heavy weights.

I would be curious to see if you were towing something with some weight to it or hauling something heavy if it allows you to go into areo mode even with the truck not in tow haul.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Aero mode airs down the bags to ride a little lower. You don’t want that happening when you’re hauling/towing, because of the risk of bottoming out. It would also mess up your weight distribution of your hitch is setup properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Aero mode airs down the bags to ride a little lower. You don’t want that happening when you’re hauling/towing, because of the risk of bottoming out. It would also mess up your weight distribution of your hitch is setup properly.

Bingo! Changes in ride height will throw off a weight distribution hitch.

OP
OP
Sly Dvl

Sly Dvl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bingo! Changes in ride height will throw off a weight distribution hitch.
That would make sense. Not having towed with a weight dist. hitch setup (yet) I assume you have to be on level ground when initially setting up the distribution?

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
That would make sense. Not having towed with a weight dist. hitch setup (yet) I assume you have to be on level ground when initially setting up the distribution?

Yes, you should be.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
While my ram does not have the air suspension I do have a grand Cherokee overland with it. I use to tow my travel trailer with it and I know it would go into aero mode with the tow haul on. The change in ride height is so minimal it doesn’t effect it. I also recall that when hooking up to the trailer and connecting the weight distribution bars I had to disable the air suspension. The ram may be different

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
While my ram does not have the air suspension I do have a grand Cherokee overland with it. I use to tow my travel trailer with it and I know it would go into aero mode with the tow haul on. The change in ride height is so minimal it doesn’t effect it. I also recall that when hooking up to the trailer and connecting the weight distribution bars I had to disable the air suspension. The ram may be different

Any change in TV ride height is going to effect the load on the WDH bars, as well as increase tongue weight.