No relay for 2019 1500 5.7 cooling fan?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikieLikesIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oops. I messed up and posted this originally in the V6 performance section.

The fan on my 2019 1500 Lone Star 5.7 stopped working. Got the check engine light, and when prompted got the above engine code. The Blue Driver software suggests that I need to replace the engine cooling fan relay, but alas I am stymied trying to find anything that even resembles that in either fuse box. Nothing is listed in the owners manual or the on line diagrams. The closest thing is the F05 20 amp fuse under the dash, but on my truck there isn't a fuse in that location. I've looked at the fan wiring, don't see anything that resembles an inline relay or fuse. Looked through many posts here, but I don't see a similar problem. My multimeter chose now to go on the fritz - have ordered a new one, but I can't check anything electrical until that arrives.

What I thought would be a quick fix has me totally lost. Is there or isn't there a relay or fuse that I can replace? And if not, what else would cause the P0480 code?

Thanks in advance for any help!

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your truck is the new body style 1500 then no. There is no fan relay. The fan gets a constant 12v power. There should be a fuse for it though I am not sure on the location. I would check the fuse. The fan actually gets controlled directly from the pcm. If there is an issue either the fan failed, fuse blew, or wiring issue from the pcm. My best guess on fuse location would either be on the battery or in the fuse block under the hood. Should be a very large fuse. Does your truck have the heavy tow package?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There should be a fuse for it though I am not sure on the location.
The fan motor is 850 watt motor, same size that the EcoDiesel. The fuse is most likely similar being 100 amp and probably comes right off the battery terminal.

OP
OP
MikieLikesIt

MikieLikesIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for responding! I don’t see an in-line fuse. There are several electrical posts lined up along the outer rim of the relay box, and the fan is connected to the one nearest the radiator. I removed the nut holding the wire to that post, hoping I’d see some kind of fuse underneath, but it doesn’t appear to have one. Evidently those posts are 100 amp supply sources for high amp usage. I’ll directly wire the fan to see if it failed. When I try to spin it by hand, it doesn’t turn. Don’t know if thats normal…

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The fan should spin with a little resistance by hand. If it’s not turning at all it has failed and I would not wire it direct as that may be harmful for the battery. Can you post a picture of where the wire is landed?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The fan motor is 850 watt motor, same size that the EcoDiesel. The fuse is most likely similar being 100 amp and probably comes right off the battery terminal.
There’s actually 2 fans available. A 600 watt and an 850 watt. Based off my research the 600 watt is the standard fan and the 850 watt is on the heavy tow package hemi or for the ecodiesel. Not sure if it comes on other packages as well. The fan I installed in my truck came from a 5th gen hemi and is the 600 watt motor

OP
OP
MikieLikesIt

MikieLikesIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So here's something really weird. Yesterday, I disconnected the battery so that I could unbolt the first post on the relay box (see photo with relay box cover off - it's the first post on the left). As mentioned before, no fuse underneath, so I put it back on, tightened it well and reconnected the battery. The fan wouldn't budge when I tried to turn it by hand. Stopped work on it as I didn't have a multimeter and there was a storm brewing (I'm in the DFW area in Texas) and posted the problem here. This morning, I decided just to start it and see if I got a different code. Started up fine, and darn if the check engine light didn't light up. I checked for codes, and none were there, not even the "permanent" code. Good grief.

Popped the hood after driving it, and the fan is running just fine. No excessive noise or vibration, running normally. Stopped the engine, let it cool, turned the fan by hand, and it spun like you'd expect it to. Drove it 45 miles and it was just fine. I'm not a believer in "miracle" fixes, so I'm going to replace that fan anyway. But I'm stumped as to why it did that in the first place. I was bending the blade of the fan trying to turn it yesterday, today it spins just fine. Has anyone else run into this kind of issue?

Photos show the wiring for the fan. I'm assuming this is typical for the 2019-2023 1500 5.7. Looking toward and away from the radiator, one with the lid on, one with the lid off.

Attachments

• IMG_6123.jpeg
    IMG_6123.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6124.jpeg
    IMG_6124.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 22

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Double check what model your fan is as there are a couple available. Make sure you order the mopar fan for reliability reasons. Also if you look at the fan motor itself it should list wattage. Can you check what that says for me? Looks like yours may be the larger 850 watt assembly like crash was saying.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like it's the 600 W version. I wonder if I can put in the larger unit?
I’m not sure if the 850 is a direct swap. It would require the entire fan assembly. the fan blades are slightly different design on the heavier 850w radiator cooling fan

Pavel RAM1975

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Мой РАМ1500 2021 Бигхорн, 5 .7 ETorque, Такая же проблема, выскочил ошибка по двигателю, вентилятор не включается. Стоял на 600w, купил по вашим сообщениям здесь, на 850w только сам электродвигатель с пропеллером. Всё снял переставил, кстати всё прекрасно взаимозаменяемо, завожу, включаю сразу климат и... Опять не крутит. Судя по странному само излечению у вас электровентилятора, проблема в чём-то другом.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca