Option and Opinions on rear bags

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
I have a static drop 2/4 Belltech drop on my 14' Ram 1500. I do quite a bit of towing with it (Enclosed 7x14 trailer) handful a times a month, more so in the summer months.
I would like options and opinions that work well so that I dont bottom out the rear of my truck especially when the trailer is loaded.

I've looked at Airlift helper bags (these apparently are fitted inside the rear coils) and I have also looked at removing the coil completely and going with an double convoluted airbag and setting it up with in cab switches and solenoids for convenient fill/dump options.

In your opinion, which would be the best method for a worry free/lifelong installation?

IMG_5093.jpg

Last edited:

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Weight distribution hitch is the best thing you can do.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
For longevity, I would not go with the airbag that's inside the coil.
TimberGrove offer coil replacement airbags with self leveling set ups. Many members have positive reports of TimberGrove products.

@mrack a WDH is not really needed until the trailer is around 5K lbs total. With a lowered truck there is less room for sag, Airbags are usually needed to keep the rear of the truck from dragging on the ground.

OP
OP
FullForceRam

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
For longevity, I would not go with the airbag that's inside the coil.
TimberGrove offer coil replacement airbags with self leveling set ups. Many members have positive reports of TimberGrove products.

@mrack a WDH is not really needed until the trailer is around 5K lbs total. With a lowered truck there is less room for sag, Airbags are usually needed to keep the rear of the truck from dragging on the ground.
-------

This looks like a well built and solid system. My trailer, loaded, probably weighs in around 4K lbs.

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would agree with Crash, while the Air Lift 1000 bags worked great when they held pressure, the longevity definitely came into play with my lowered truck
Air Lift stepped up and warrantied the 1st set that failed early in their life. 2nd set failed under a year, which I chaulked up to extreme cold(-35C) and possibly rusty/ rough lowering coils
3rd set with brand new springs and in the middle of summer, made it a couple months before they split
I’ve had Timber Grove 4” CMR bags on for almost a year with no issues- and I use my truck like a truck
Swapping out my blown Rancho rear RS9000 shocks for Bilstein 4600’s when they arrive- possibly the last piece of the puzzle

OP
OP
FullForceRam

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
I would agree with Crash, while the Air Lift 1000 bags worked great when they held pressure, the longevity definitely came into play with my lowered truck
Air Lift stepped up and warrantied the 1st set that failed early in their life. 2nd set failed under a year, which I chaulked up to extreme cold(-35C) and possibly rusty/ rough lowering coils
3rd set with brand new springs and in the middle of summer, made it a couple months before they split
I’ve had Timber Grove 4” CMR bags on for almost a year with no issues- and I use my truck like a truck
Swapping out my blown Rancho rear RS9000 shocks for Bilstein 4600’s when they arrive- possibly the last piece of the puzzle
Thanks for the info. Glad to hear about the successful install of the timber grove bags.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That trailer has probably a 6k weight rating. Have you actually weighed the fully loaded tongue? Just ask because of the dozens I have seen and had on job sites over the years I can't remember one that was loaded correctly and didn't appear to have to much weight forward of the center of the axles.

What I am thinking is with a out 50% of the trailer capacity in front of the axles you may be bottoming out because if really at 4k pounds it is possible 2k or more of it is directly on the truck hitch.

So before installing bags (which adding any electrical appliance is never guaranteed to leave you worry free for a lifelong installation) find out first if the free solution is better weight distribution.

Good luck.

OP
OP
FullForceRam

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
Timber Groves, top quality and great service. Been on my 2016 Eco since 2016, trouble-free. His current product is even better than my 2016

Just ordered my Timber Grove airbag kit for my truck. I'm installing with some paddle gauges, compressor and pressure gauge for in-truck mount and adjustability. HAd this setup on my previous ram and worked out great. I'll post photos when installed.

Thanks for your input everyone.
-Sam

OP
OP
FullForceRam

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
Well, as some of you know I opted to order and install the Timber Grove rear bags. I'm no stranger to airbag suspensions so the install only took a little over 5 hours with also installing the air compressor, air lines, electrical, paddles and gauge system. All in all it turned out fine and rides nicely down the road. I'll be hooking up my trailer later this evening to see how it handles under load.

IMG_7158.jpg

IMG_7157.jpg

IMG_7159.jpg

IMG_7160.jpg

IMG_7161.jpg

IMG_7164.jpg