Outside Power Mirror Repair--Gruven Motor and Gear-- Anyone Done it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The passenger side mirror on my '14 is intermittently failing to close when commanded. I know this will only get worse with use. So I ordered the Gruven motor and gear kit.

The instructions on their site are a little dated/misleading. For example, they call for epoxy early on in the instructions but nowhere in the instructions do they specify where the epoxy is used.

I emailed them and they responded promptly to their credit. The instructions are old and need to be updated. The epoxy is no longer needed.

I am curious if anyone has done this repair using the Gruven parts recently. I'm looking for pointers and pitfalls before I attempt this.

Thanks!!

OP
OP
NETim

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I am in the process of reassembling the motor housing. If anyone should ask me if this is a job for the amateur mechanic, my answer is a resounding NO! Re-assembly is difficult at best.

Best to pull the motor housing out of the mirror and send it to them for the motor/gear replacement. Getting at the motor housing is pretty easy.

I may wind up sending this in and let the pros have at it at Gruven.

Edited to add: I had been using a 15/16th socket to compress the spring in a vise but apparently it interfered with the retaining ring. I ended up using a short piece of thin wall steel tubing to compress the spring and turn the retaining nut.

Tomorrow I'll find out if I put it together correctly.

Steep learning curve with this project. :)

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am in the process of reassembling the motor housing. If anyone should ask me if this is a job for the amateur mechanic, my answer is a resounding NO! Re-assembly is difficult at best.

Best to pull the motor housing out of the mirror and send it to them for the motor/gear replacement. Getting at the motor housing is pretty easy.

I may wind up sending this in and let the pros have at it at Gruven.

Edited to add: I had been using a 15/16th socket to compress the spring in a vise but apparently it interfered with the retaining ring. I ended up using a short piece of thin wall steel tubing to compress the spring and turn the retaining nut.

Tomorrow I'll find out if I put it together correctly.

Steep learning curve with this project. :)
Any tips or tricks. I have the parts and have to do mine soon. One of my mirrors is acting up.

OP
OP
NETim

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The ABSOLUTELY essential tool for this job IMHO is a piece of 1" (or thereabouts) thin wall steel tubing about an inch or so long. OD of the mirror post is just under an inch.

A chunk of 1" PVC pipe could be used but the OD of the PVC pipe interferes with gripping the spring retaining ring, which needs to be turned to release the spring. A big pair of curved jaw channel lock piiers is a good tool to use to turn the retaining ring.

Thin wall tubing is the best in this case though.

I originally used a 15/16" socket to compress the spring but it turns out the teeth of the socket interfere with retaining ring notches and make it difficult to turn. Hence the thin wall tubing.

An electric screwdriver is nice to have too. Some of the torx screws used in the assembly are long.

The instructions Gruven supplies are a bit dated. They call for epoxy. It is not needed.

The shaft of the spur gear is a bit long as it turns out. The shaft needs to shortened up some, at least in my case. Otherwise it will bind. The instructions do mention this.

Also, Gruven mentions a possible need to relieve the bracket where the spur gear mounts onto to allow clearance for the spur gear. I'd go ahead and just do that, even if it feels like it doesn't need it.

I nearly met with success this AM after last night's work. Unfortunately, on the last attempt to re-assemble the spring/retainer, the retainer shot off into space. I still haven't managed to find it. Replacing the retaining ring while it's compressed and turning it just the right amount to engage the locking lugs on the mirror post is kinda a seat of the pants thing. The spring covers up the engagement points when compressed, so it's difficult to get a visual if the ring is turned to proper position.

I had the motor housing mounted on the mirror base this AM. It would turn fine as long as the mirror bracket wasn't put on the motor housing. Once that was installed, I'm guessing it would bind on the spur gear shaft. That's why I had to pull it apart again and subsequently shot the ring into low orbit while re-assembling.

Getting the motor housing out of the mirror assembly is pretty easy. A few T15's and away you go. The Gruven instructions work well here. Be sure to cut/scribe some witness marks on the mirror base and mirror arm before pulling it out. It's a confidence booster when re-assembling and is easy to do.

Pulling the motor housing apart takes some time and patience but it can be done.

The collet as they call it, will drop in 3 different locations in a 360 degree movement. Only one is correct. The lowest position heightwise is the correct position of the three.

The big ring gear can be installed in any orientation as long as the teeth are down to engage the shallow notches on the collet.

The "spring cup" must be flush when reassembling the spring/retainer. If not, check your work. Rotating the motor housing will usually do it if you have the collet in the correct position.

Proper tension on the spring (using a vise or arbor press) is another seat of the pants thing. Too much and you can't rotate the retaining ring. Not enough and the retaining ring won't clear the 3 locking lugs on the mirror post. Again, the notches in the retaining ring must clear the 3 lugs on the mirror post so that it will move past them and then rotated into the locked position.

Before replacing the top half of the motor housing on the lower half, I would put it on the mirror arm and test the motor to see it turns freely on the assembly. You'll need an assistant here as the power connector will not stay in place on the motor if the upper motor housing isn't installed.

This brings up another point, the motor has two contacts on one side that mate with the power connector. BE SURE these contacts are facing the mirror post (they will be visible through the connector port on the upper half of the motor housing if the motor is oriented correctly) The instructions don't mention this.

You don't want to wrestle with the motor housing any more than you have to. That goes double for the spring/retainer as well. Lining it all up and getting the ring past the lugs while SLOWLY and CAREFULLY cranking on the vise/arbor press is a pain. Turning the ring the proper amount to engage the lugs is guesswork. Gruven says 1/6 of a turn. I guess it's something like that.

As for me, I've got a complete mirror assembly on order. I don't think the ring will be found any time soon in the cluttered confines of my reloading/basement work area. Approximately 1.2 billion hiding places.

Would I attempt this again knowing what I know now? Probably not. Too many things that can go wrong upon re-assembly. That spring is strong, hence the need for a vise/arbor press.

Good luck to all that attempt this!!!

Edited to add (with a much better attitude):

I found the retaining ring. The spring was on one side of the room while the ring turned up sitting neatly on a shelf like I had put it there on the other side of the room.

Anyway, I pieced it all back together with no incident. (I am getting good at installing the spring retaining ring and I should be, I've had enough practice)

The mirror IS noticeably noisier in operation now. But it works 100% at present. No binding anywhere.

Another tool I'd heartily recommend is a Dremel or equivalent. The collet piece has some tabs that need to be ground off according to Gruven's instructions as they are no longer needed with the beefier brass spur gear. The Dremel also comes in handy to grind down the spur gear shaft to shorten it so it won't bind on the motor/gear housing. (and it probably will). Also the Dremel can be used to hog out the spur gear area on the plastic piece where it mounts to give additional clearance for the gear. Better to just do it to avoid having to tear it all down again. I didn't remove much material. A 1/4" sanding drum worked well for this operation.

Obviously it can be done. Just don't expect it to be easy. Take your time.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Essential tool for this IMHO is a piece of 1" (or thereabouts) thin wall steel tubing about an inch or so long. OD of the mirror post is just under an inch.

A chunk of 1" PVC pipe could be used but the OD of the PVC pipe interferes with gripping the spring retaining ring, which needs to be turned to release the spring. A big pair of curved jaw channel lock piiers is a good tool to use to turn the retaining ring.

Thin wall tubing is the best in this case though.

I originally used a 15/16" socket to compress the spring but it turns out the teeth of the socket interfere with retaining ring notches and make it difficult to turn. Hence the thin wall tubing.

An electric screwdriver is nice to have too. Some of the torx screws used in the assembly are long.

The instructions Gruven supplies are a bit dated. They call for epoxy. It is not needed.

The shaft of the spur gear is a bit long as it turns out. The shaft needs to shortened up some, at least in my case. Otherwise it will bind. The instructions do mention this.

Also, Gruven mentions a possible need to relieve the bracket where the spur gear mounts onto to allow clearance for the spur gear. I'd go ahead and just do that, even if it feels like it doesn't need it.

I nearly met with success this AM after last night's work. Unfortunately, on the last attempt to re-assemble the spring/retainer, the retainer shot off into space. I still haven't managed to find it. Replacing the retaining ring while it's compressed and turning it just the right amount to engage the locking lugs on the mirror post is kinda a seat of the pants thing. The spring covers up the engagement points when compressed, so it's difficult to get a visual if the ring is turned to proper position.

I had the motor housing mounted on the mirror base this AM. It would turn fine as long as the mirror bracket wasn't put on the motor housing. Once that was installed, I'm guessing it would bind on the spur gear shaft. That's why I had to pull it apart again and subsequently shot the ring into low orbit while re-assembling.

Getting the motor housing out of the mirror assembly is pretty easy. A few T15's and away you go. The Gruven instructions work well here. Be sure to cut/scribe some witness marks on the mirror base and mirror arm before pulling it out. It's a confidence booster when re-assembling and is easy to do.

Pulling the motor housing apart takes some time and patience but it can be done.

The collet as they call it, will drop in 3 different locations in a 360 degree movement. Only one is correct. The lowest position heightwise is the correct position of the three.

The big ring gear can be installed in any orientation as long as the teeth are down to engage the shallow notches on the collet.

The "spring cup" must be flush when reassembling the spring/retainer. If not, check your work. Rotating the motor housing will usually do it if you have the collet in the correct position.

Proper tension on the spring (using a vise or arbor press) is another seat of the pants thing. Too much and you can't rotate the retaining ring. Not enough and the retaining ring won't clear the 3 locking lugs on the mirror post. Again, the notches in the retaining ring must clear the 3 lugs on the mirror post so that it will move past them and then rotated into the locked position.

Before replacing the top half of the motor housing on the lower half, I would put it on the mirror arm and test the motor to see it turns freely on the assembly. You'll need an assistant here as the power connector will not stay in place on the motor if the upper motor housing isn't installed.

This brings up another point, the motor has two contacts on one side that mate with the power connector. BE SURE these contacts are facing the mirror post (they will be visible through the connector port on the upper half of the motor housing if the motor is oriented correctly) The instructions don't mention this.

You don't want to wrestle with the motor housing any more than you have to. That goes double for the spring/retainer as well. Lining it all up and getting the ring past the lugs while SLOWLY and CAREFULLY cranking on the vise/arbor press is a pain. Turning the ring the proper amount to engage the lugs is guesswork. Gruven says 1/6 of a turn. I guess it's something like that.

As for me, I've got a complete mirror assembly on order. I don't think the ring will be found any time soon in the cluttered confines of my reloading/basement work area. Approximately 1.2 billion hiding places.

Would I attempt this again knowing what I know now? Probably not. Too many things that can go wrong upon re-assembly. That spring is strong, hence the need for a vise/arbor press.

Good luck to all that attempt this!!!
Guess I’ll give it a shot in my garage but I do not have a bench vice. I do have 4” c clamps that will hopefully work. If not I’ll send my mirrors off to them.

OP
OP
NETim

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Guess I’ll give it a shot in my garage but I do not have a bench vice. I do have 4” c clamps that will hopefully work. If not I’ll send my mirrors off to them.
A 4" clamp may work. The mirror post is hollow, so you'll probably want to span that with a piece of thin steel or plywood if using a clamp.

A 5" clamp may be what you need though. I am not sure a 4" will be quite enough.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A 4" clamp may work. The mirror post is hollow, so you'll probably want to span that with a piece of thin steel or plywood if using a clamp.

A 5" clamp may be what you need though. I am not sure a 4" will be quite enough.
Ok. Thank you. Maybe I’ll look into a bench vise or some project clamps

OP
OP
NETim

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Ok. Thank you. Maybe I’ll look into a bench vise or some project clamps
I think you'd be better off with the bench vise frankly. You'll need less hands to wrestle the spring/retainer/wrench combo. I used one hand to hold onto the gear box (to keep the mirror post from rotating while wrenching) and the other to wrench on the retaining ring. The mirror post/gear box wants to rotate along with the ring while trying to crank on the ring.

It's a lot of fun. :)

CROD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
In the process of completing my passenger side now. I broke the collet into 3 pieces. Yeah it's possible. lol
If you have the same problem reach out to Paul and they sell them. Will save me a headache for sure.
:cool:

Hanover Fiste

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 SLT, 2018 Sport
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just did mine, both sides. The video really helped, though I don't know why it's set for "adult content." LOL.

What the video didn't show was reinstalling the o-ring/washer assembly on the new motor's shaft. I would think they would need to be reinstalled, but according to Paul, those should be discarded, as they jam the unit up.