Overhead Computer less accurate when not reset?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackshadow2804

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
So I know these things aren't the most accurate in general, but I read somewhere that when you don't reset the trip ODO each time you fill it becomes less accurate.

Do you agree with this statement? If so why does not resetting it affect it like that?

Mine seems to be reading 3/4MPG high, which isn't preferable, but I can just deduct 100 miles from my DTE and I have a pretty good way to estimate my remaining range

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I don't know the exact time limit for your truck, but the distance to empty is calculated on the last X number of miles driven. I don't know what X equals in your truck, some make/models are as low as the last 20 miles for the moving average used to calculate DTE. Resetting it forces it to forget those miles and start fresh until it hits X again, when the oldest miles start to roll off in favor of the new ones.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
The display is of the continuous miles traveled averaged.
I see the best results to reset it anytime I hook to or unhook from a trailer since the trailer is the biggest changing factor and would throw off the reading due to the trip average from the last reset.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you want it somewhat accurate for that specific trip then yes because until you do, it is averaging everything since the last reset.

OP
OP
B

Blackshadow2804

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I don't know the exact time limit for your truck, but the distance to empty is calculated on the last X number of miles driven. I don't know what X equals in your truck, some make/models are as low as the last 20 miles for the moving average used to calculate DTE. Resetting it forces it to forget those miles and start fresh until it hits X again, when the oldest miles start to roll off in favor of the new ones.

Is there a way to figure out what that number is?