P0700 and other codes 2004 Ram 1500 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robllachance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I picked up a new to me Ram, 2004 with 205k miles for $1800.

Tranny shifts fine through all gears, but maybe takes a while to accelerate in first. It’s hard to take off without accelerating hard or spinning the rear but hard to say that’s a tranny issue and not throttle position sensor

Transmission codes are
P0700- generic
P0731- 1st gear ratio
P0736- reverse ratio
P0841- transmission fluid sensor pressure A

It is leaking a bit of tranny fluid but still measured at the right level on flat ground

Is it worth it to do a fluid change, both filters, solenoid pack and rebuild the valve body without doing more? Not confident and don’t have the skills for a full rebuild. Can anyone recommend a brand for a new solenoid pack?

Or would you look anything else? Maybe just the pressure sensor is out causing problems? I’d rather spend an extra bit of money and only have to drop the pan once.

kevkev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I always check mine in neutral, hot. After cycling it through all gears. Id change out all sensors. Two speed and one pressure. If problem persist, you probably need a new tranny. At least you got it for a good price.

OP
OP
R

Robllachance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any recommendation for a pressure sensor and solenoid? Rebuilt mopar or another brand? How bad is it to rebuild the valve body or should I pick one up remanufactured? Just concerned about quality in rebuilt parts from reviews, but trying not to put 2K worth of mopar parts in here for a shot in the dark

OP
OP
R

Robllachance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any recs on brands to look for? DOn't want to put something in there that is going to fail

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Take it to a trans shop have em look at it before you waste more money throwing parts at it at the end of the day used transmissions are cheap for these and not to hard to swap if your mechanically inclined you can find them on facebook ect.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was quoted $2500 for a remanufactured swap
its up to you but for a high mileage truck like that to me not worth it for a reman $400-500 you can get a used lower mile trans off facebook ECT out of a wreck depends how long you plan on keeping it or what your using it for.

WWlorodd1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a similar problem - P0731 and the transmission immediately slips when I put it into drive but if I shift to first gear manually then drive while shifting manually it will move along just fine. Already replaced both sensors on the outside of the transmission. Transmission shop said my transmission is shot but they didn't even pull it into the shop. Just put it into drive and when it slipped, they told me its shot. I explained to them how I drove it to the shop, and they said they don't replace the Shift solenoid. They just wanted the $ for new tranny. Any thoughts on if it could be the solenoid on top of the valve body? 545RFE trans - 2011 Ram 1500 Sport

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357