palstic tailgate protective cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
I damaged that black protective trim across the top the tailgate on my 2014 RAM. I have ordered a new one. I have a question about removing the old one, there are about 6 push pins on the inside of the bed that need to be removed from the protective cover, after that I think it's clipped on similarly to the inside door panels and only need to be pulled to remove it. Has anyone removed this cover and can they confirm the steps after removing the push pin to get the old one off. Did a search of the forum but found nothing. I would think it was out there but I can't find it.

Can one the admins please move this to Tech Info section if this is the wrong place to have put this.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Would you be kind enough to let me know what that costs you?

jimmyjames636

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im not sure if the 14's are the same as my 09. I put a new protective cap on the back of mine and I went through the access panel on the inside of the tailgate. That way I wasn't just prying that protective cap off.

OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
Would you be kind enough to let me know what that costs you?

sorry it took me so long to respond. I paid $46 US delivered for it. Was shipped yesterday we'll see when it gets here. It was $70.70 + tax US at Dodge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
Im not sure if the 14's are the same as my 09. I put a new protective cap on the back of mine and I went through the access panel on the inside of the tailgate. That way I wasn't just prying that protective cap off.

I have the spray in liner, but I don't think it had an access panel on the tailgate. So I guess it's just pry it off. Unless someone can chime in and tell me different.:hmm:

jimmyjames636

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bummer, I have a spray in liner as well. Thier were about 10ish hex head small bolts to take off the access panel to get "into" the back of the tailgate. IE incase you have to replace the handle locking mechanism. Would you like me to take a picture?

ddetta88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have removed mine but my tailgate isn't coated. I removed the access panel because I reinstalled it and didn't want to damage it.

If you're replacing it you can just pry it off.

If you can pull the panel you can pinch the back clips from the back to make it a little easier.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a spray on liner as well, but don't see any problem removing the panel. Just 8 screws. It appears they removed the screws before applying the liner because they are clean.

wink

OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
Bummer, I have a spray in liner as well. Thier were about 10ish hex head small bolts to take off the access panel to get "into" the back of the tailgate. IE incase you have to replace the handle locking mechanism. Would you like me to take a picture?

Picture would be great I'm not sure where this panel you guys are talking about is. I didn't see any screws.

jimmyjames636

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 'panel" is where you see the screw heads. Its an access panel to the inside of the tailgate. Hopefully my picture shows up. lol Thier are 8 hex head screws.

Attachments

• IMG_6701.jpg
    IMG_6701.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
That's perfect, I kept trying to get out and look at the tail gate to look for screws but I literally haven't been able to get out in the driveway for 5 mins to check. Hopefully my life slows down this weekend enough to look.:crazy: