Particulate Matter Sensor vs DPF sensor - are they the same - Emissions Recall Y43

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jacob302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I typed in the VIN number for my 2022 RAM 5500 and see there is a grid heater relay recall. I requested my dealer order the part and had the recall completed today. The dealer told me there is another recall open for my truck - Emissions Recall Y43 – Particulate Matter Sensor. I was surprised for two reasons, 1) this recall does not show up for my VIN in the NHTSA database, 2) because I do see the DPF load change in my vehicle in the instrument cluster display, so I assumed I have "the sensor".

Now my question is this, is the Particulate Matter Sensor addressed in recall Y43 different from the DPF sensor ? If I do not have this sensor, should the DPF load in the dash show zero always ? I know RAM had a supply chain issue and shipped nearly 21000 trucks without a sensor and the recall is to inspect and address this. I pulled the recall notice and plan to inspect the truck when it is back from the field. In the mean time I was curious if any one else knew the difference.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I got the letter for this one today. truck runs fine so do I want to take a chance on this one.

seatrout46

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I also got this recall yesterday. Seems it is not mandatory unless you are in CA. Is this right, should it be done or not?

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I got the letter for this one today. truck runs fine so do I want to take a chance on this one.
Good question. But the older trucks with this motor (19-21) do have that sensor and run fine. This recall also updates some software. And these sensors have already been getting installed in the 4500/5500 22's. So I think it's a safe update, but I don't want to be the first one in line for it either. ;)

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I typed in the VIN number for my 2022 RAM 5500 and see there is a grid heater relay recall. I requested my dealer order the part and had the recall completed today. The dealer told me there is another recall open for my truck - Emissions Recall Y43 – Particulate Matter Sensor. I was surprised for two reasons, 1) this recall does not show up for my VIN in the NHTSA database, 2) because I do see the DPF load change in my vehicle in the instrument cluster display, so I assumed I have "the sensor".

Now my question is this, is the Particulate Matter Sensor addressed in recall Y43 different from the DPF sensor ? If I do not have this sensor, should the DPF load in the dash show zero always ? I know RAM had a supply chain issue and shipped nearly 21000 trucks without a sensor and the recall is to inspect and address this. I pulled the recall notice and plan to inspect the truck when it is back from the field. In the mean time I was curious if any one else knew the difference.
Not the same sensors:

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Now my question is this, is the Particulate Matter Sensor addressed in recall Y43 different from the DPF sensor ?
I believe the recall is for the SCR (DEF) sensor. The associated software is to return the proper DEF dosing according to that sensor. Your truck came without the sensor and was programmed to inject DEF at a specific rate. You will probably see a reduction in DEF use with the sensor installed.

The Particulate Matter Sensor (EGT4 sensor) measures the NOx levels. When NOx reaches a certain level DEF is injected into the SCR to remove NO2/NOx. NOX levels trigger the DEF injection and also determines the quantity of DEF.

Last edited:

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
in reading the whole thing, I see that if you have over 600 engine hrs., then disregard and place vehicle back in service. not sure what that means..I have around 900hrs. on the otherhand, they probably dont have this part either.

Last edited:

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
while mine was getting the other 2 recalls done yesterday I asked about the DPF sensor pointing out that the repair sheet says for the dealer to mark "done" and return to service if the motor has over 600 hrs. mine has over 900. the service guy said it was still better to have the recall done than not so I stayed on the list for that one but he says they dont have the parts and no idea when the will get any.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I got a text today from my dealer saying I needed to schedule an appt to clear my last recall, the DPF sensor. Called the parts dept and they do not have any of the sensors in stock. Parts said they had 2 of the grid heater relays in stock, but they had a lot of the DPF sensors on order with none showing up.

Jay P

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
They are not likely to get the parts anytime soon. Earlier this week UAW shut down GM and Stellantis parts warehouses and distribution centers as part of the ongoing strike.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Good point. They did say the 2 grid relays had just come in today though.

Jay P

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
Those were probably already en route to the dealer before the strike affected parts. I don't know about Fed Ex but UPS will not cross picket lines so not likely anything will come unless already in the shippers hands.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I got the other 2 recalls done tuesday and they said there are no parts available for the particulate matter sensor so they could not do that one. then thursday when I ran my vin thru the recall website, the sensor recall had gone away..curious. I guess the dealer cleared all 3 but only the relay and the dipstick show on the work order.