Picked up a 3.7 2007 Ram 6MT.....4.7 swap? What's needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bonylad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The truck is a RCSB with 71K on it. Its not fast, but certainly livable. I have had some fast cars and a SBC swapped S10 I built prior, so I am comfortable doing swaps etc.

Id pick up a 4.7 HO and go through it, possibly upgrading the cams, along with all the obvious things.

Since the 4.7 is a 3.7 with 2 more cylinders.......whats involved? I find more posts about peope doing a 5.7 swap, not from a 3.7 to a 4.7 HO. I assume the trans (G56) will bolt up, as will the engine mounts? Other than that, is it basically the harness/ECM etc?

Any links to people whom may have done this swap?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure if the motor mounts would line up its possible they would since its similar ish. You would need a wire harness and ecm from a donor truck possibly another transmission would have to look into it the 4.7 trucks are so common probably easier to just get one with a 4.7.

3pedals

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your trans is a G238, not a g56. Not sure what would be involved but switching to a 2008 4.7 will get you around 310hp, as opposed to an older 4.7 that’ll be closer to 230hp.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Your trans is a G238, not a g56. Not sure what would be involved but switching to a 2008 4.7 will get you around 310hp, as opposed to an older 4.7 that’ll be closer to 230hp.
He said HO, which didn't come in the Rams (Grand Cherokee) but was 260 hp with the forged crank, cams & intake manifold everyone wanted for their 230 hp Rams.

The truck is a RCSB with 71K on it. Its not fast, but certainly livable. I have had some fast cars and a SBC swapped S10 I built prior, so I am comfortable doing swaps etc.

Id pick up a 4.7 HO and go through it, possibly upgrading the cams, along with all the obvious things.

Since the 4.7 is a 3.7 with 2 more cylinders.......whats involved? I find more posts about peope doing a 5.7 swap, not from a 3.7 to a 4.7 HO. I assume the trans (G56) will bolt up, as will the engine mounts? Other than that, is it basically the harness/ECM etc?

Any links to people whom may have done this swap?
Same family and was an optional engine, so everything will bolt in/bolt up. Easy part over. You'll need a 4.7 PCM & engine harness matched to the engine you're using (old style vs 08+ newer style). Might be a little trickier since you're in CAN bus territory with a 2007 and CAN vehicles don't like variations & changes. I would send this question over to hotwireauto.com, this is their bread & butter. If they can rig an adapter harness & PCM to put a VVT hemi into an older LX then this should be easy for them.

OP
OP
B

bonylad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you all for the replies. I will go back and read through them in more detail. Yes, I was mistaked on the transmission type. Thanks for the clarification. Thanks fellas!