Programmers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vicdimatteo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Hello,

New member here... I have a 2017 RAM 3500 6.7 Deisel looking to install a performace programmer.
Been looking at the Bully Dog GT... I am hearing from Summit racing that the factory computer chip has to be
unlocked before the programmer will work. Is this true? Also looking for recomendations as well.
I do alot of towing, and long distance highway driving.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Finding anything to do with tuning a diesel truck nowadays you'll probably have to go north of the boarder. The EPA has been on a warpath cracking down on tuners along with any manufacturers of equipment/parts that can bypass vehicle emissions.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hello,

New member here... I have a 2017 RAM 3500 6.7 Deisel looking to install a performace programmer.
Been looking at the Bully Dog GT... I am hearing from Summit racing that the factory computer chip has to be
unlocked before the programmer will work. Is this true? Also looking for recomendations as well.

Yes, that is true. PPEI, Edge and others used to make a "Cummins Unlock" option in their tuning. I had to use it on my 2017 2500 CTD in order to load the program(s).

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Hello,

If you do a lot of towing and long distance driving I would think you'd want your truck to be as reliable as possible.
Putting a "performance" tune on will not do that.
I've lost count of how many people come here and say they have *** tune and they are having such and such problems because of it.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Perhaps the OP would like emissions compliant tuning? Did anybody think of that?

Don’t forget, people have problems with the factory tune also.

tomhavingfun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have the same truck. I bought a Bully Dog tuner a year ago and had problems when towing. One day out of warranty and I asked for some help. Did I get the help I needed,no I didn't. They offered some help,but very little. All the changes had to be by me, not them. Do I have the knowledge to change these settings without doing engine damage? No I don't. So it will be put back in the box and I'll go with the stock tune. Would I tell someone to buy from this company? No I wouldn't in a million years.