Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loud15005

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2019 ram 1500 classic I have to put in a radio that is from Best Buy will my back up camera still work with the aftermarket radio?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well....did you buy one with that feature lol?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have a 2019 ram 1500 classic I have to put in a radio that is from Best Buy will my back up camera still work with the aftermarket radio?
Are they installing it? They will usually include that as part of their install/shop fees. Natively, the radios don't always support it but can be readily integrated with OEM features.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Well provided you bought a double din radio that has a screen, then technically. Yes the backup camera will work but you will need a lot more than just the radio. You will need a smart harness which is going to run you another couple hundred bucks. These trucks aren't like the old days when you could just slap a radio in. You're going to need an eye data link. Maestro so it will retain all your OEM functions such as the camera steering wheel controls if you have them and your soft touch buttons for your HVAC. Not to mention it will give you a diagnostic reader on most stereos.

ralphsmithiii

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well provided you bought a double din radio that has a screen, then technically. Yes the backup camera will work but you will need a lot more than just the radio. You will need a smart harness which is going to run you another couple hundred bucks. These trucks aren't like the old days when you could just slap a radio in. You're going to need an eye data link. Maestro so it will retain all your OEM functions such as the camera steering wheel controls if you have them and your soft touch buttons for your HVAC. Not to mention it will give you a diagnostic reader on most stereos.
This is what I found one when I was looking to add Carplay to my 2017 that didn't come with it natively. For the money, I just purchased the updated 2018-2022 OEM UAC 8.4 with plug and play harness for the required USB port that connects the phones to the unit and called it a day. OEM fit and finish! Something to consider OP if you haven't gone too far down the path already.
Why do you have to put one in from BestBuy, specifically?

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
This is what I found one when I was looking to add Carplay to my 2017 that didn't come with it natively. For the money, I just purchased the updated 2018-2022 OEM UAC 8.4 with plug and play harness for the required USB port that connects the phones to the unit and called it a day. OEM fit and finish! Something to consider OP if you haven't gone too far down the path already.

Why do you have to put one in from BestBuy, specifically?
Yes, that's one way to do it, but I started out with that updated 8.4. That's the issue. You're still stuck with OEM garbage. There's sound processing is horrible and you're also stuck with wired smartphone connectivity. If you're doing an upgrade, you might as well go wireless.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
you're also stuck with wired smartphone connectivity.
That's a nope, I run an AAWireless module on my UAQ for AndroidAuto. It now supports CarPlay also. It connects within 30 seconds.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
That's a nope, I run an AAWireless module on my UAQ for AndroidAuto. It now supports CarPlay also. It connects within 30 seconds.
Yes, that's what the module, that's not the OEM unit on its own. That's an add-on. I didn't say there was an add-ons. You can get them for both carplay and Android Auto. That wasn't the point here. So it's not a nope.... And regardless of that fact, you're still stuck with the horrible uconnect UI. No thank you. I had a replacement stereo ready for my Ram before I bought the Ram. Learned my lesson coming from the Jeep. Renegade trailhawk.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Yes, that's what the module, that's not the OEM unit on its own. That's an add-on. I didn't say there was an add-ons. You can get them for both carplay and Android Auto. That wasn't the point here. So it's not a nope.... And regardless of that fact, you're still stuck with the horrible uconnect UI. No thank you. I had a replacement stereo ready for my Ram before I bought the Ram. Learned my lesson coming from the Jeep. Renegade trailhawk.
For someone like the OP who may or may not know anything about what works after reading your statement may think wireless isn't possible at all. Especially since you follow the "stuck with wired connectivity" up with the comment of "you might as well go wireless", there again reinforcing the notion that wireless is not possible with a UAS, UAC or UAQ.
We get it YOU don't like the UConnect interface but there's but there's not reason to rage on by writing everyone a War and Peace length dissertation about it.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
For someone like the OP who may or may not know anything about what works after reading your statement may think wireless isn't possible at all. Especially since you follow the "stuck with wired connectivity" up with the comment of "you might as well go wireless", there again reinforcing the notion that wireless is not possible with a UAS, UAC or UAQ.
We get it YOU don't like the UConnect interface but there's but there's not reason to rage on by writing everyone a War and Peace length dissertation about it.
Calm down bud it wasn't hard to figure out and the only reason I didn't mention the add-on modules is because there are so many of them out there on the market now and most are not very reliable. They're typically the same way as going with the Chinese built aftermarket head units that claim to not need a smart harness because it's all built in some of them work great for a month or two, maybe a year. Then they brick. I had the same issue with two of those wireless Android modules before being frustrated giving up and just doing it the right way. It's good that you found one that works and hopefully it continues to work. The one good thing is the Android ones definitely work way better than the carplay modules. Most of those don't work well. Trying to get by apples policies without being authorized.