Ram 2500 - Time for driveshaft u joints?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
Hey everyone, im back with even more questions about my truck. Hope nobodys getting sick of me, I just want to learn. :)

So anyway, I read something about driveshaft u joints leaving grease trails that they throw when they start to fail. Which looks apparent on mine, both front and rear joints (were talking strictly about the rear drive axle here.) I think mine is displaying a symptom too, a shuddering at low speeds upon takeoff sometimes. Only sometimes, though. Its 50/50. Both joints have zerks and were greased with my last oil change (3,000 miles ago).

Joint at the transmission: D.S. @ Transmission - Album on Imgur

Joint at the diff: Imgur

Take a look. What do you think? Worth replacing? Whats the best brand to replace them with and where should i get em?

Thanks all.

Edit: sorry about not directly uploading pictures. It doesnt like to on mobile so i host them through imgur.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It looks more like that rear pinion seal is leaking to me. You can't tell if a ujoint is worn just by looking at it unless it is totally shot. Wiggle them back and forth and check for play. Pull the driveshaft out to replace that pinion seal and move the joints around and check for binding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
It looks more like that rear pinion seal is leaking to me. You can't tell if a ujoint is worn just by looking at it unless it is totally shot. Wiggle them back and forth and check for play. Pull the driveshaft out to replace that pinion seal and move the joints around and check for binding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alright. I think the diff cover leaks a bit towards the bottom, too. So i guess i have a project for soon.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
What jwheeler said. The grease lines are normal especially if you do it regularly, a little bit of excess grease come out of the boot and then when you drive the shaft spins thousands of rpms and it goes everywhere